Monday, August 20, 2007

Workin' my ars off...

Last night I sat down to work on this coming weeks workout schedule. I spent some time looking over the lap swim and spin schedules. I compared it to my schedule of new teacher inservices (2 days) and workshops (3 days) this week, which is mostly 8-4, except for thursday we have open house for students and parents from 5:30-7pm. Damn! A lot going on this week. Do I get up at the butt crack of dawn? Or do I attempt to get what I want done after a long days work? I ain't gonna lie... I hate putting off workouts until the evening, unless it's absolutely necessary.

This is going to be the true test of what I will be able to accomplish in a weeks' span. When I look at my schedule, it appears to be crazy busy. Almost as if it is too much. Maybe that is just me. I am used to taking 2-3 days of rest, but that was when I was just running. Now that I am swimming, cycling, and running, it is easier for me to do something almost everyday. I am working different muscles with each discipline, (ie, when I am running I am giving my arms a rest from the pool), so I feel that it is easier to do more.

...However .... starting this thursday, the pool will be closed for 2 weeks! 2 weeks, people! I guess this will allow me to do some more cycling, strength training, and more importantly....more running. Which works out perfectly. Because in 40 days, I have my first 5K (or 10K Bella! & Jahowie) of 2007. I haven't decided which one I am going to attempt. Only time (and my runs) will tell. (Plus, I just found out there is a Bridge to Bridge race the weekend before here where I live... if I am interested, I have the choice of doing a 10mi run or a 5mi run...hmm..)

Tonight though, after a long day of filling out paperwork for benefits, payroll, and learning the ropes of all the wonderful computer programs, I hit the gym for a scheduled, long workout. Let me just say... the spin instructor tonight, sucked. All she did was yell out rpm's, add tension, take off tension, up, down...their was no excitement. So after a long hour, I hit the treadmill for my scheduled run. I wanted to see how my legs were going to treat me in this transition. It was a tough start, but I persevered... and I was quite pleased with my entire workout all together!

---------------------------------
OCN: 18.63 miles!!!
Duration: 46:34
Avg Pace: 2.29/mi
---------------------------------
ORN: 2.43 mile
Duration: 30:00
Avg Pace: 12:20/mi
----------------------------------

Oh... and, on the way home from the gym I took a different route. Trying to familiarize myself to the area... And guess what was a few blocks from the gym? A cycle shop! HA! I might be checking that place out this weekend!! Living in the midwest, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of "sales" going on this time of year.....

Tonight, this Sporty Spice (ehem...Jess) is going to curl up with the September issue of Runner's World and watch the Twins...

Happy Monday, y'all!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a busy schedule indeed. I am curling up with my new employee manual and Harry Wongs, The First Days of School. Oh, and of course reading some blogs. Good luck fitting it all in.

J~Mom said...

Sweet!!! Your brick looks awesome!!

That was good advice you gave me about multiple bricks..I am going to work toward that!

Anonymous said...

OmG. You are so busy and I'm so impressed. Good luck with all your training this week.

Wes said...

Hey, you got it goin on :-) All this stuff is crazy new, but you'll get it organized and working for ya. Have fun planning for those races!! Sounds wunderbar!!!

SavvyFitChica said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a dedicated night to your running- both in working out and just sitting down to plan your attack over the next few months! Great job!

jahowie said...

I'm sticking with my first opinion to go with the 10k. I know you can do it. Going right from a spin class and then jumping on the treadmill tells me that you are one tough cookie!! Keep up the good work!!

Jess said...

Fit in what you can. School start up is busy and stressful, and there's good reasons for either morning or evening workouts: morning, you get it done; evening, is a good way to unwind from a busy day. However, you should focus on getting what you need done at school, exercise when you can, and then return to the workout schedule when your professional schedule settles down some.

Jess said...

Awesome job on the brick. Sorry you had a crappy instructor....that's one of my biggest pet peeves about fitness classes....bad insructors kills the vibe.

Anonymous said...

Dang, you are busy! Make sure to take some time out for you... have a drink with friends, see a movie, whatever floats your boat!

Anonymous said...

It is tricky to fit in workouts once school starts. I was an afternoon workout girl - I had to be. But in the summer, it's always back to mornings. Good luck - you'll figure out what works best for you. Enjoy the new school year!

Anonymous said...

NICE BLOG.

Larissa said...

Or, you could be a crazy die hard and do two a days. Then you get a couple mornings a week to sleep in and a day or two totally off. If you don't double up at least some of the time, you only get one day - or less- a week off. Depends on what your body needs.

Awesome job on the brick!