Friday, August 3, 2007

Baby Steps, baby steps

When reflecting on my running, I oftentimes take for granted how far I have come. When things start to become easier, it is only natural to want to push yourself harder, and further. When my running starts to flow, my mind starts to wonder with all sorts of things I want to accomplish... 10k's, half marathons, possibly a marathon (atleast one), a sprint triathlon, or even more. And then boom, something happens and puts me back. Two steps forward, one step back. This is the time in which I wish, and hope, that soon, I will be back on the road, feelin' good and doing a few miles every other day. As of right now, that is all I hope for.
OCN: 8.62 miles
Yesterday, in attempt to see how my knee would suit me on the bike, I went out with a bit of nervousness. Whenever I have been sore or down on running before, I have been able to get on the bike with minimal uncomfortness. When I did get on that bike, I will admit, the knee was a little sensitive at first, but after a couple miles, it warmed up. To be honest, after my ride, my knees felt a whole lot stronger.
ORN: 2.25 miles
Today, after spending most of the day doing other little things around the house, my laziness got the best of me, and I was just itching to get outside and do something. I just had to. For my sanity. So, at about 4pm, during the hottest part of the day, I put on my shorts and tank, tied up my shoes, grabbed my heart rate monitor and nano, and headed out. My goal? 20 minutes. 20 minutes of walking and jogging. In the end? 27 minutes, a little walking and more jogging. Overall, it went better than I thought and I was somewhat pleased. I came home, popped in some ibuprofen and iced my knee.
Baby steps, baby steps. That is all I can say.

24 comments:

Jess said...

Baby steps. That's definitely good advice.

Glad to hear the bike ride went well and the run too...especially in the hottest part of the day!

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Great reflections, the baby steps are something we all need to remember, they will lead to fewer injuries if we can only keep reminding ourselves to follow them...follow them...
Do be careful out in that heat...

Marcy said...

I think you have the right attitude :-) Baby steps!! I'm glad that biking has been some of an outlet for you since running hasn't been too enjoyable lately.

Molly said...

I'm right there with you...I still need t take the first step!

Take Care

Anonymous said...

To get down the road it takes a lot of baby steps. You have the right idea, just be sure to know the difference between discomfort and pain. Rest and be patient and be careful. Running can be a life long sport if you continue to pace it right. Best of luck and have a great weekend.

Mendy said...

That's awesome! baby steps, for sure. Great to look at it that way, and it's healthier too. Good on you for getting in a ride and a run!

Deb said...

How much fun could it be if you didn't slow down to enjoy the journey? Slow down to speed up. You're right on track and sounds like you're lovin it!
go check out the shoes...I REALLY like em!

edinburghrunner said...

I think I raid a quote somewhere which went along the lines of, with running it never gets easier, you just get faster.

Neese said...

I love WAB!!!

I'm so proud of you I think you are proceeding in a smart way by just getting out there for 1. and going for time and not distance.

XO

Jess said...

Okay, first: I LOVE that movie! Bill Murray is hilarious.

Second, good advice here. I think we all have to remember that it's all a process -- sometimes a slow moving one.

SavvyFitChica said...

You SHOULD be proud of yourself. Great job!

Robert said...

I have the worst knee on the planet and I have good and bad days. Baby steps indeed. Listen to your body and it'll tell you what you should do. Keep it up!

Unknown said...

Baby steps indeed!

push too far too fast and it leads to injury.

Unknown said...

I have never been very good at baby steps. It's so true about the two steps forward and one step back. Just keep moving forward!

Wes said...

Hey girl! Nice set of workouts! Glad to hear the knee was gentle to you... Keep up the good work. All of those things are possible. You have a lifetime after all :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the What About Bob reference. :) Good for you for being patient enough to take baby steps. Keep it up!

Scott McMurtrey said...

glad to see the knee looks like it's feeling better.

jahowie said...

I knew that you would be back!! I love that movie by the way. I'm sailing, I'm a sailer, I sailed!!

Krista said...

Biking is great for the knees, and so is swimming. If you can work some of that in as well, it might help you recover. good luck!

Ms Eva said...

Most assuredly the right attitude! Always good to reflect and learn.
Great job sticking with it and not throwing in the towel. Baby steps for sure. :)

J~Mom said...

Baby steps will get you where you want to be! Strong and steady....you can do it!

Danielle said...

Sometimes it's better running in the heat of the day. Gets the muscles warmed up sooner...and a marathon, totally doable. I did a half, then 2 years later finally attempted the full...it's baby steps!

psbowe said...

It's fun to change things around once in a while, running in the heat is a whole new challenge itself. Cool!

IronGambit said...

I'll be in Chicago in a couple of days :)