Saturday, October 11, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Ride

Lindenwood Park, Fargo ND
Saturday, October 11, 2008
25 Mile Ride (closer to 28 miles)


Before:
The first thing I did this morning when I woke shortly before 7 was check the weather. It was a whopping 42 degrees, with the windchill right around 36 degrees. I looked outside and the sky was full of dark, thick, clouds and wet streets. On the bright side, it wasn't raining. All I wanted to do was crawl back into my warm bed and watch the Today Show.

There were multiple reasons that could have kept me home, but I knew I just had to do this ride. I have been looking forward to this for almost a month. If I could do anything to bring more awareness to the community, this was just another little thing I could do myself. Plus, one of my best friends left me a message saying...."Get down to your ND roots and do it!:)" ... That was just enough of a push to get my going.
I dressed in as many layers as I could. Not only was I trying to keep myself warm, but dry as well; 3/4 length running tights, padded cycling shorts, cycling socks with red tube socks up to my knees, long sleeved shirt, adidas zip-up dri-fit jacket, a water resistent "shell-like" jacket, padded cycling gloves with fleece gloves on top, and a winter headband for the ears. We got to Lindenwood Park, signed in, and picked up our fun stuff. We were given a bag of goodies... gu, pria bar, Trek Breast Cancer Awareness water bottle, and Sock Guy cycling socks!

The Ride:
When we started it was not only cold, but it started to rain again... nothing heaving but enough to make one wonder what the ride was really going to be like. It was so cold that you could see your breath as well. There were probably no more than 15 people riding this morning. Would this possibly be under the definition of crazy? I was just hoping that the weather wouldn't get worse.
We rode through Lindenwood Park and was sheltered from the wind and rain for a little bit. Before we knew it, we were heading north out on a county road. The rain had backed off a bit, but we were fighting some serious headwind for quite a while. It was slow going at that point.
Then we turned west onto a nother county road, Cass County Road 22 to be exact. We still had a bit of wind to deal with, but it was more out of the north and it was nothing compared to the last leg. I had never ridden on this road, but I look forward to getting out on it next spring/summer. It was newly paved and very quiet, nothing but farmland all around.

After a good length of time on that road we headed south for our last leg. The wind was at our back and it was pretty much smooth sailing from there on out. However, this was the point when I felt pretty tired and we still had another 40 some minutes left of the ride.


After:
When we were finished, it felt so good to get off the bike and into the warm visitor builing at the park. Prizes from the drawing were being distributed and I was able to go home with a new Bontrager saddle for my bike! I was pumped!

It only ended up raining about the first 20 minutes and the rest was just cold and windy. But, once I got home, it was down pouring. Is that ironic or a gift?
It felt so good to be able to participate in such a ride, even if the weather conditions weren't prime. I just kept reminding myself that fighting through the cold and wet on a 25+ mile ride was so minimal and not even comparable to the battles that those with cancer have fought or are fighting. I was just there to bring more awareness to others.
The photo below was take before we took off, but it definitely portrays how excited I was to be a part of this ride. I hope to do it again next year!

38 comments:

ChillyJ said...

I agree with you...I think it was closer to 28 miles too. We even made the news... and it was so worth it and for a great cause.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for getting out there despite the weather. Great pictures! :)

Lesley Looper said...

What an accomplishment, weather or not (but ESPECIALLY with the icky weather)! Way to go!

Erin Leigh said...

Way to even show up with that weather!! I agree, it is for a great cause so worth the struggle.

Great pics!!

SavvyFitChica said...

I'm so proud of you for getting out there and doing it and supporting a good cause. But I'm also proud of you for stopping to think about how cancer affects peoples' lives and using that to find inner strength during the ride.

It sounds like you made out like a bandit at this ride- the goody bag was awesome and you got a door prize! HELL YEAH!

Mike said...

Well done for 'getin it done!' in the rain. Great cause as well.

Sherry said...

Awesome! I'm so glad that you got out there and did it. Those conditions sounded rough. Yay for you. It feels so nice to do something like that for such a good cause. Terrific pictures... and YAY for winning the drawing for a new saddle! You'll have to let us all know how/if you like it.

BeachRunner said...

What a great job, and for such a great cause. Way to go.

Holly said...

Sorry to hear you had crappy weather, but great job on going out anyway!

Unknown said...

Good job on the ride! and you won a saddle too. Woot!!

Michelle said...

WOOHOO!!! What a great ride girl! I am proud that you stuck with it even though the weather made it hard! It's cool to do these things for a great cause, makes you feel so good!!

Anne said...

I'm so glad you stuck it out and came home just in time to avoid a drenching. Glad you also were a winner in the prize category. Whoo-hoo.

Marcy said...

You look so cute!! ;D Awesome job getting out here and getting it done chica! And for a wonderful cause too ;-)

Kevin said...

That was so great you were able to brave the weather and do the ride for such a great cause

Jess said...

Glad you did the ride and enjoyed yourself! Nice job.

Badgergirl said...

Nice ride for a great cause!

hepsmom said...

Well, first congrats on your ride yesterday!! Second, they are softspots. The actual style name of mine is "Eireen," but the picture, which actually has a lower heel than mine, is "Verdent." Mine were on sale at a regional department store for $55. They seem to retail for something like $80. If I'd had that much, I'd have spent it. Glad I didn't have to. But I am totally loving this brand. I will let you know about how comfy they are in actual school-wear! Finally, there's no teacher convention, but we're having what they're calling a fall break. On top of that the kids were out on Friday. It's been nice.

You have a great week, too!

Unknown said...

Wonderful! I'm glad to hear you were able to do the ride and that it went so well.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful ride for a great cause - sorry the weather wasn't better.

IronGambit said...

I LOVE organized rides! :)

ncrunner12 said...

Way to get out there and do it... the weather may have sucked, but you did... awesome job.

Wes said...

TW, that is just awesome. I love that kind of grit and determination. You ROCK (and for a good cause too!)

Anonymous said...

very very VERY COOL that you did the ride.

and in such weather to boot (she types from texas which is still way too hot)

It's pink day at MizFit...it youre in the hood feel free to stop in and LINK YOUR POST in the comments.

Gotta Run..... said...

Cancer Sucks.... Love that you placed this on your wrist!

Cold,rainy, and windy... now that is not a good mix for any race. Way to tackle the course in those conditions.

Unknown said...

Great job on the ride. Love the pics. Sorry the weather was not great.

J~Mom said...

WOOHOO for the free goodies!

Great job getting out there! Sounds like a wonderful event for a great cause!!!

Aron said...

awesome job!!! great job getting out there even with the sucky weather. great pics too!

Jess said...

Congrats on a great ride! Good for you for going out despite the crap-tastic weather! As always, love the pics!

sunshine said...

Brrr... good for you chica! Sounds like a good ride (despite the conditions) for a great cause.

jahowie said...

It's great that you got out there and rode for such a great cause. It's too bad that the weather was lousy.

jahowie said...

It's great that you got out there and rode for such a great cause. It's too bad that the weather was lousy.

Stef0115 said...

Amazing! It is so awesome that you did this ride. I would have considered not going too but you went, you had a good ride and you won a new saddle. WOOT!

Congratulations!

N.D. said...

Wow I really like your pink and breast cancer awareness everywhere! great job on the run!

Unknown said...

That's wonderful that you were out there riding for a purpose. It makes the work all the better!

Frayed Laces said...

Good job---so important to keep the reason in mind!

LIrunner9 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and the congrats!!

You are truly and inspiration. Great job!!

Anonymous said...

Way to get out there and support a great cause. Fun stuff you received too.

Runner Leana said...

Brrr! That sounds like some nasty riding weather, but good for you for getting out there. It was for a terrific cause, so congratulations!

I whole heartedly endorse shoe covers to keep your toes nice and warm!