Friday, August 24, 2007

Back To School

Yesterday was long, with two sessions of very boring in-service, a break between the two, and then a break afterwards before we had to be back for Back-to-School night. That was fun. Most of the teachers were dressed in their teacher outfits (not me....I am too young for teacher clothes), and the kids were so excited. School is going to start next week, whether we are ready for it or not. I personally, am really looking forward to it. This will be my fourth year in the school setting, 3rd year teaching ... with each year being at a different school. Hopefully, if all goes well and I enjoy it at this school, I won't have to change schools or look for another job. This school district is growing so fast, I am sure I will have great job security.

This morning, we (elementary special education teachers) had a meeting to go over paperwork and changes in the "system". I am beginning to learn that in special education, changes happen. Often. You just got to roll with the punches. And our district is one of the districts in ND piloting a new software for writing IEP's. I think I am one of the few sped teachers that really doesn't mind the paperwork. It must be my "anal-organization" personality trait. If it wasn't a personality trait, it is now.

This afternoon was a different vibe. We worked on our schedules and divided up the kids between the four of us, and lucky me... being a strategist and all, I was give a handful of first graders, as they are new to us all, and a few emotional/behavior kids! Yes! Then we met with each grade level teachers in 15 minute increments, discussing the children in their classes who receive our services, and that was a nightmare. There were a couple teachers that were completely irritable and not wanting to hear anything from us, upset with our schedule, and just down right rude. When I left shortly before 5, I was feeling overwhelmed, unprepared, and a little irritated by a few teachers' comments. But, what happens at work, must stay at work... and this is really hard to do, especially when you become attached to your student, work your ass off to help them academically (both in the classroom and resource room), help them socially, and for some.... emotionally.

So, what did I decide to do once I got home? RUN. Yep. I didn't have a route in mind. I just went out. me and my ipod. I walked the first 7 minutes to loosen up a bit, and then I was off. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, 70 degrees and overcasting with a slight cool breeze. Most of my route was on busy roads...at 5pm, so it was motivating to keep going, as I have this thing with stopping in front of heavy traffic. I can't. It's one of my "things". I don't like it. Call me weird, but we ALL have "things"... right?

Two days until it all starts. For real. I think I need to go out before the school year starts...

ORN: 3.4 mile
Duration: 44:12
Avg Pace: 13:00

CLIP FROM BILLY MADISON


P.S. I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO WES!!! He's got his West Point Olympic Triathlon Sunday!! GO WISH HIM LUCK!

14 comments:

IronGambit said...

Billy Madison rocks!

teacherwoman said...

It's one of my favorites!

Wes said...

You are going to be a wonderful teacher, heck, I think you already are :-) Just remember not to let all these things wag you by your tail. You are the (top) dog!!

Have a drink for me Saturday night! LOL. I've got a bottle of Grey Goose waiting for me to get home Sunday :-O

Scott McMurtrey said...

i don't like those mean people. not one bit.

glad you got a run in afterward. and good to see your knee is doing well.

billy madison is one of my faves too!

Anonymous said...

You sound like a great teacher! Have a weekend of fun before it all starts back up again -at least that's what I'm trying to do!

Molly said...

As much as I loved you before learning that you are a special ed teacher just makes you the coolest! Hope this school provides you the environment that will bring more security!

Great run! How was your knee...I am thinking of taking off this weekend and seeing how I do!

Take Care

SavvyFitChica said...

I definitely get a little extra hop in my step when there are people around- even if they're not watching me. You're not alone in your "things"! HA!
I'm glad you had a great da teacherwoman!
Kelsalynn

Anonymous said...

Wow. I just thought teachers always worked well together for the good of the kids. I hope your first week goes smooth.

hepsmom said...

Re: Going to blocks
We are on 4 90-minute blocks and it is a little long as far as I'm concerned. But then again, I teach math, so it's good for students to get some practice time in while I'm still available. There are pros and cons both ways. Just embrace what you have to work with and do the best that you can. THAT'S the best barometer of your performance. Your students (of any age or level) will also give you the feedback you need to fine-tune what you're doing. Also, find a veteran teacher who is positive to be your sounding board.

Our school has a pretty good rapport between the special ed teachers and the "regular" ed. This has to be worked at from both sides.

Are you self-contained? What will your students be like?

Neese said...

Have a great weekend, without sounding too motherly, make sure you get some rest before you big week :)

Deb said...

LOVE the music! look away from those other teachers. Go in and feed one of those passions....teaching!!!!! That's your gift!!

L*I*S*A said...

I'm so not ready for school to start. I just love summer...

jahowie said...

That funny. When I read the title of this entry that clip was the first thing that I thought of!! Very funny.

J~Mom said...

Good luck this year! I know it's going to be a great one!