Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What a workout

Today's swim practice was just what I needed. I woke this morning to 69 degrees with 70% humidity, partly cloudy skies and some foggy patches. It almost had an eerie look to it.

I jumped in the pool shortly before 6am and went on my way. Coach S was in charge of the triathletes today and gave us a run for our money. Here's what I did:

4x200M w/:10 RI (10 sec rest intervals):
#1 - Freestyle
#2 - Kick, using kickboard
#3 - 50M Drill/50M Swim, repeat 2x - This is the drill we did last Thursday. It's still new to me and quite a workout. Basically, our coach calls it a side fluttler (alternating sides). If you check out the video link below, it is about 2:23 into the clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsfFjdnzGc
#4 - Choice (I chose freestyle)

4x400M w/:30RI:
#1 - Freestyle - focus on alternating breathes to every 3rd stroke. (This I already do, so it was a ncie and easy 400M.
#2 - Sprints - During this set of 400M, we were told to sprint over the lines that ran horizontally across the 50M pool. Basically what we would end up doing is starting at the wall, swimming at a normal pace for about 15M, sprint for 20M, and then back to normal pace for the last 15M.
#3 - Freestyle - breathing every 3 strokes for 50M, and then breathing every 5 strokes from 50M. Repeat 4 times. Breathing every 5 strokes wasn't as difficult as I was afraid it was going to be. It was a nice workout for the lungs.
#4 - Sprints - Same as #2. During this time I was trying to build my sprints each time.


After completing the first two sets of workouts on the white-board, Coach S asked if I was going to try any of the 50's (on the 3rd set of workotus) but there just wasn't enough time. I think I was more disappointed then she was. If I remember correctly, it was 12 sets of 50's w/:30RI, increasing speed with each 50M.


All in all, 2400M done and done!


Today's Song: The Offspring - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
This was one of my new downloads and I enjoy listening to it during my runs. I forgot how much I like their music! (video clip is also in sidebar)

21 comments:

IronGambit said...

is this a new song? I like it either way :)

Unknown said...

Nice solid swim workout. Good job

Unknown said...

I need to get into the pool more after seeing your workout. I can barely swim for more than 5 minutes and it's not even workout. I'm just doggy paddling around :)

Shannon said...

Now I've read two blogs where you all are putting in good swim times. Is this a sign for me to get in the pool?

Kelly said...

I really need a team to motivate me like this. Great job :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job. I am going to have to incorporate some of your drill into mine! Keep up the great work.

Ashley said...

That sounds.....exhausting!!! Nice work! :)

Jess said...

Great job on your early morning swim!

Wes said...

these kinds of workouts will make you STRONG :-)

J said...

I don't know how you do those swim workouts! I would lose track of which part I was on! Great job!

Carolina John said...

awesome swim. i have got to get into the pool soon.

K said...

I am envious of your kickass swim. I need to really get into a pool. Good job!

Marlene said...

The pool must have been refreshing in the humid air. Great workout!

Holly said...

Glad to hear you had a great swim practice! Sounds like a lot of work! Swimming is definitely not my thing.

RunToTheFinish said...

wow thanks for posting your workouts, if i'm going to try swimming these will help!

Runner Susan said...

the most i've ever gone is 800M in the pool. I salute you!

Danielle said...

Nice...I so need to get into the pool.

runnerinsight said...

Swimming is a very good way to shape things up! A very good form of exrcise! I'll absolutely try that!
; ) Thanks for the information! Keep the fire burning!

Aka Alice said...

Is it bad that I want to copy all of your swim workouts? It's so impressive that you go swimming at 6am though...

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

i don't remember her except words but she basically said:

"your behavior is ridiculous. you complain about being overwight, tired, and feeling gross, but you smoke, drink, and binge eat cookies. you are a really smart girl and your behavior just does not make sense. if you want to be happy, you can be... it's not this big change you have to make. just little changes. if you want to start working out, i will run with you."

she laid down the law. but i respond to that! so you have to think about your friend's personality.

Runner Leana said...

Nice workout!!! Sounds like you have found a fantastic swim group!