Sunday, November 16, 2008

5K Turkey Trot, #1 of 2

Like I said in my previous post, my sister talked me into coming to the cities this weeking, bribing me with a 5K race..... the 5K Turkey Trot in Chaska, MN. I jumped on the opportunity. Plus, I was looking forward to spending a relaxing weekend with her and my brother-in-law.

Saturday morning we headed to the Chaska High School, the location of the race, and registered. The school was packed. Supposedly a basketball tournament was going on as well. Once we were registered, and our bibs and timing chips were attached, we waited patiently in the cold 30 degree weather at the starting line. It wasn't too bad but the wind wasn't pretty. We both went into this race hoping to just have a good run, enjoy our time, and possibly run the entire course, something I had never been able to do in a race before!


Shortly after 9 the race started. Our first short stretch of the route was downhill and before we knew it we were heading uphill soon after. We all know that what goes down, must go up, or vice versa, right? Throughout the race there was some mild hills, but nothing too terribly difficult. I will admit, I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to run the entire time with the hills.

We did a pretty good job pacing ourselves. Our goal was to keep up with the lady-in-the-pink-hat a few feet in front of us. Once we saw that 2 miler marker we picked up the pace a little bit. At this point I was starting to feel nauseous, and this has never happened to me in a race before. In the last tenth of a mile we did a full out sprint across the finish line. Talk about finishing strong. I stopped to get my chip cut out of my shoe and thought I was going to puke, but it went away pretty fast. It turns out that the lady-in-the-pink-hat was using us as a pacer as well. Glad we could return the favor.
The results?

Well, we haven't seen any official results yet, but according to my watch and what I believed to have seen when crossing the finish mat, I broke my 35:30 PR by 2 minutes flat. Both of us finished in approximately 33:30! It felt great! I am going to cash this in as my "freshly shaved" time for the Shave Your 5K Challenge! Thanks for putting this challenge together, Half-Fast!


After the race we grabbed some fruit and water. We got a nice little goody bag too.

Steph and I after the race


The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing, shopping, and relaxing! Thanks Steph and Blaine!

We have another Turkey Trot (one I have done for the past 3 years) in less than two weeks, on Thanksgiving Day in Bismarck. I hope that race will go just as well, if not better!



********UPDATE**********

Here's the official race results! We finished in 33:33, a 10:47min/mile average! Yeah!

33 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like a great race! :D

Shannon said...

Good job braving the 30 degree race!

Stef0115 said...

Congrats, what a fun post to read! It is fun to PR and in that cold weather . . . brrr you're tough girl!

TriJenPB said...

Good job on the race & congrats on the PR! We just got a cold front move thru today and temp is about 55 just now, so perfect weather for an outdoor run! 30 degrees, wow I would freeze to death, hehe

Marcy said...

YYYYYAAAAAAAYYYY chica! Fabulous job on the race and CONGRATS on your R! Whoot! Nothing like runnin with the sis, huh? ;-)

Unknown said...

Great race. That has to be an amazing feeling to PR on a hilly and windy course that you had originally planned to just run for fun.

Unknown said...

Great job!! And I like the race shirts...very cute. :-)

Neese said...

yay!!! congrats to you both on a fierce finish!! and double congrats on the PR!

Jess said...

Congrats on your new PR!!

Badgergirl said...

Congrats on the new PR! And I like the shirts :)

SavvyFitChica said...

Holy cow- a 2 minute PR! That's a huge improvement and you should be proud of yourself. Not everyone can push themselves so hard that they want to puke, but that's sometimes how I feel when doing CrossFit.

It sounds like your weekend w/ your sis of shopping and relaxing was PERFECT!

akshaye said...

Sounds like a perfect local race! And way to get that PR!

Laurel said...

Sounds like a great race! Congrats on the PR!

You and your sister look so much alike, are you twins?

Laurel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ms. V. said...

Sounds fun!! ...and COLD!

Anonymous said...

Cute T-shirts. Congratulations on the PR. I hate waiting around before the start of a race, especially when it is cold out.

Ms Eva said...

Brrrrrrr! Great race - You are one strong chica, braving that cold! Congrats on the PR! Love the Ts!

jahowie said...

Nice job on the PR!! I like that shirt too. :-)

Viv said...

I love that being able to run a 5K side by side to your sister. Just a family moment. I got to get on my sis to get back into running.

Anywhoo, great PR! The shirt is super cute. I would prolly wear it on Thanksgiving.

aggiedad77 said...

Fantastic PR!!!!! you kicked some butt in this one and with hills and cold wind to boot...way to go!!

Runner Leana said...

You ran the entire thing and you PRed! Awesome job! I love the shirt as well.

Unknown said...

A PR by 2 minutes? Awesome! Great job with the race...and with keeping your breakfast down.

Neesha and Dustin said...

Congrats on breaking your PR!!! So exciting! I love the t-shirt, too. Super cute. I will be running a Turkey Trot on Turkey day this year, too! Good luck!

Wes said...

Yes, that is entirely awesome, and cold :-) What a great way to break your 5K PR!! With sis along!! Way to go!!!!

Aron said...

awesome job on a 2 minute PR!!!

sunshine said...

Great job!!!! And, cute race tee's! :)

BeachRunner said...

Wow. You crushed it, Teachy. Congrats on the great new PR. Your cold and windy conditions make my race seem balmy. You just needed some of that sisterly mojo.

Lesley Looper said...

Woohoo, congrats on the PR! Glad to hear the nausea passed, no fun with that.

Glad you had a nice weekend with your sis and bro-in-law too.

Michelle said...

Sweet!!!

Excellent job TW!!! I'm so proud of you on your PR!!!

Way to go!!!

Sherry said...

Oh shoot... I am soooo late to congratulate you thanks to me week long pitty-party. Argh...

BIG 'OLE congratulations to ya, girly! A PR is AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you. They will just continue to come for you too... your hard work is paying off! ENJOY the post-race high!!!

Holly said...

Good job on Turkey Trot #1! The picture of you and Steph is adorable!

I'm jealous that you get to do the Turkey Trot in the Biz - I want to do it, but still don't know if I'm even going to be in town!

Kevin said...

Congrats on the new PR

I Run for Fun said...

Congrats on the PR! Sounds like you had a great time. Aren't you glad you went?