Friday, February 6, 2009

The Final "Count-down"

This afternoon I met Jill at the pool to do a nice swim workout. We both had a lot of steam to blow, so the workout I chose was perfect. Here's the workout:
Count-down: swim 1500m as a 500, 400, 300, 200, 100; rest 10s to 20s between each segment. Aim to go faster as the segments get shorter. Over time, aim to decrease total swim time.

With a warm-up and cool-down, here's what our results looked like:
w/u - 275M
500M - 12:15 (avg. 2:27/100M)
400M - 9:25 (avg. 2:21/100M)
300M- 6:15 (avg. 2:02/100M)
200M - 4:00 (avg 2:00/100M)
100M - 1:45
c/d - 275M

Total distance = 2050M

How did it go? I thought it went pretty well. It was hard to know how fast to start out, knowing that each set needed to get faster and faster. Our rests between sets were definitely longer than 20 seconds because we were trying to figure out the length of each set. I look forward to doing this one again, knowing that I could push myself a little bit harder, even from the beginning. I know I said it after my last workout, but Iwill wear my watch next time. It will just be that much easier to keep track of the time/splits.

10 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

wow! Awesome workout! have a great weekend :)

Unknown said...

Nice swim workout! I like to break my swim up like that too (not exactly like you did it, which I actually like a lot, but in short segments vs a long big swim)

Liz said...

I wish I could get myself to swim! I will surf, but swimming maks me dizzy! I think that I breath all wrong or something!

Great job!!!

Laurel said...

Awesome job in the pool! I wish I swam more.

Stef0115 said...

GREAT workout! You are getting stronger and faster all the time!

Hope your knee issue gets resolved quickly too. :-)

Jess said...

I have no idea how to judge those swim numbers, but they look fast!

Carolina John said...

still, that sounds like a really great workout. good job!

SavvyFitChica said...

That sounds like a really cool workout. Way to challenge yourself!

You know that "Crossfit endurance" that I always talk about? It's for swimmers too...we just always do the workout for runners but everyday there's a swim workout too. Check it out sometime b/c this sounds like the kind of workout they'd put you through and it might give you some more ideas to try out!

Carly said...

great workout!

IronGambit said...

"Hey Jill"
You can have whatever you liike? no? don't get it? :)