Saturday, December 5, 2009

Jingle Bell 5K

When I woke this morning, I was pretty pumped for this 5K. This was to be my first event since my last triathlon in August.
Many of you were/are running in 40-60 degree weather this weekend and were puzzled with what to wear for the race. I know that many of your races were starting with cooler temps and then increasing as much as 20 degrees, and some of you were worried about running in rain, which all situations can be quite challenging when figuring out what to wear. So is running in sub-freezing temps.

Last year, it was 4 degrees but with 12 mph winds. It was brutal. Any wind at sub-freezing temps is horrible. This year, the temperature was 5 degrees at the starting line and I didn't really notice any winds. It was a huge difference. Even though the temperature here wasn't expected to change during our short distance, it was hard to decide what to wear.


What did I wear? I had on full-leg running tights, my knee length running tights, long-sleeved wick-away shirt, long-sleeved cotton shirt, my adidas running jacket, headband, a pair of finger gloves with my North Face finger gloves over them, red fleece scarf, knee length holiday socks with my winter running ankle socks over them, and my grinch boxer shorts. Very similar to what I wore last year minus a fleece jacket.

I was running this one with my friend Jill, and another girl she knew joined us at the start. Our plan, since we both have been struggling with knee issues, was to run 4-5 minutes and then walk. But, neither one of us worn watches, so we just went with the "let's see how we feel" plan.

We started out really slow (slower than I usually run on the treadmill) and ended up running the entire race with only two short walk breaks after the 2nd mile marker. most importantly, it was pain free and I finished strong! I had a really good stride going into the finish shute and thought about what it would be like to have that kind of pace for 3.1 miles. It felt really, really, really good.

It wasn't too long after we got back indoors that I started to get the chills. I was pretty sweaty. Try going home and icing your knees after a run in the cold. I was not looking forward to it, but knew I had to do it!

The Results?
Rank: 400 out of 498
Bib: 376
Name: Stacy Smith
28
F
Fargo, ND
Time: 38:39
Pace: 12:27

Like I said, it was slow, but a great run. I shaved 37 seconds off from this race last year. And, I just realized that this will be my last race as a 28 year old. *sniff, sniff*

Next year if I do this race, I would like to get more creative with my outfit. I saw so many wonderful ideas today and I wish I would have taken a bunch of photos, but I have a hard time with the idea of taking photos of strangers! There were two guys dressed as presents with big boxes around them, there was a guy dressed as the grinch and another person dressed as a dog, there was a girl that made her own gingerbread man outfit, and so many more... it was so cool!

Have you ever done a race and dressed up for it? What race did you do, and what did you wear?

25 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for pain free running!

I wish I had been more creative with my outfit, but since it was so cold, it just dressed to be warm. Next year....next year...

Melissa said...

Sounds like a great race full of fun! I have one that I have to dress up for on the 15th and I totally want to do something cute. I found some long striped Christmas socks at Wal Mart and thought about pairing that with a running skirt and then I was at a loss at that point.

Neese said...

nice job!! I just love the title of the race! and OMG I can't believe how cold it was for you!!

I'm putting a link to your blog on my new one, stop by and see me :)

justme said...

i have never dressed up for a run. their is a santa fun run coming up and everyone must wear a santa suit, i think that is so funny.

not sure i would ever dress up. i hate the cold. i am planning on meeting up for a run w a friend tomorrow and i am stressing about what to wear b/c it will prob be about 30 degrees.....i guess i can't complain huh

Shannon said...

Not bad girly! Shaving off seconds from previous races always puts a smile on my face.

Tony said...

Thats why I love 5k's . You can just have a good time and enjoy a good run. I dressed up like a giant smurf for a 5 mile race. I wore white spandex pants, a blue underarmour shirt and I painted my face and hands blue. I wore a santa hat that had a white t-shirt sewed onto it. Some people got it and others thought I was the Genie from Aladin. He doesn't have legs.

Shannon said...

Congrats on a great race. My hat is off to you for running in the cold. Brrrr!

Badgergirl said...

Ummm, that's cold. Nice job getting out there and running!

Jess said...

Glad it was pain-free! But, brrrrrr! That's a cold race!

Unknown said...

I was supposed to dress like wonder woman for Ragnar Relay but a team mate forgot my outfit (bummer I know)

Way to go on getting out and running..at that temp I would have stayed in bed :)

Tricia said...

Congrats on the run! I did a Jingle Bell Run yesterday too. Hubs wore a santa hat and my son (who he was pushing in the jogging stroller) wore reindeer antlers. It was fun!

Kelly said...

Congrats on the run! I'm so happy it was pain free :)

J said...

great job on the race! I can't believe how cold it was! I am not ready for winter!

RBJ said...

Hi there! My name's Rachel and I found your blog by looking through some others that I follow. Congrats on the 5k! I also did one on Saturday and it was cold too, but not as cold as yours!

I look forward to reading more...and I am so impressed that you do triathalons too. I have never done one but would like to in the future.

Anne said...

Brrrrr. I think you did a great job, particularly given all those layers you were wearing. Sounds like you are back in the game.

Wes said...

That's quite the race outfit. Brrrrrr :-) I thought our Jingle Bell run last year was cold at 22 degrees. Yoweee!!! Congrats on the faster time and NO PAIN!! Woo hoo!!

Jess said...

Dannnng I'm freakin' out because my 10K this weekend will likely be around 30 degrees at the start and you're starting in 5 degrees.... BRRRR. I don't think I could survive there!

Liz said...

Saw that you were in the negative temperatures today! Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

congrats on the faster time...and crossing the line without any injuries ro setbacks.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Those are some cold temperatures! Congratulations on decreasing your time!

Marlene said...

Congrats on the 5K! DANG, that is cold.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I have seen you comment on other Blogs and thought I would stop in. I think your outfit is CUTE, WOW oh wow that is Cold!!

I wanted to wear a Giraffe costume for my Halloween Half Marathon but it was pouring buckets so I had to shed the costume, I was SAD!! Of course in the Seattle area rain is to be expected

Anonymous said...

Yay for running pain-free! 4 degrees?? That's so cold, way to bundle up!

Holly said...

Yay for a pain-free race! I'm happy for you. I'm not sure I could bring myself to doing a winter race. I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold.

I Run for Fun said...

Congratulations! Nothing can beat running without pain. Good job on getting out there in horrendous weather!