Sunday, January 20, 2008

Triathlons and Half Marathons

I was out of town this weekend, visiting my wonderful sister and brother-in-law in the Twin Cities area. We celebrated a friend's birthday friday night and despite all the drinking, Steph and I were still able to get up at a reasonable time and make it to cycle 60, a spin class, at Lifetime Fitness. I was in heaven. It has been over a month since my last spin session. Afterwards, she gave me a tour of the gym and I was just in awe.

When I returned to ND today and began reading the comments on my previous post, I was excited to see a message from Steve stating the date of the indoor triathlon at the gym my sister belongs to. Then came the disappointment. I was truely upset to find that it conflicts with another committment of mine. I so wanted to do that tri!

Now I am back to square one. I need to find a triathlon to participate in this spring/summer and have no idea where. A part of me was hoping to do one in the area, but can't seem to find one that doesn't conflict with some other things. How does one travel across country for a triathlon ... with all that stuff... especially the bike?! This is new to me... any suggestions as far as great races for beginners and traveling?

Tomorrow brings the beginning of my half marathon training. I hope I can continue to swim and bike on a regular basis as well. Swimming has been a great form of cross training for me in the past couple weeks.

OCN: 25 miles
1 hour
587 calories

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I hope you find a tri to participate in! Also, what training program are you using for your half - I'm also running a half in May!

Unknown said...

I haven't had to travel too faror too often, myself. But I do tend to go out of town with one particular lady who has a bike carrier on her vehicle. And we tow the bikes in back.

If you really want to do the race, you will find a way to make it happen. :)

Unknown said...

I haven't had to travel too faror too often, myself. But I do tend to go out of town with one particular lady who has a bike carrier on her vehicle. And we tow the bikes in back.

If you really want to do the race, you will find a way to make it happen. :)

MNFirefly said...

Good luck with the half-marathon training!

teacherwoman said...

I am using the Jeff Galloway training plan .... my goal is to finish and be injury free! :)

J~Mom said...

I hate it when I find an event I really want to do and it doesn't work out. It's such a bummer! Something will turn up though!

jahowie said...

I'm sorry that your plans are messed up. I hope that you find a race. Keep up the good work on your training. And try to stay warm!! :-)

Nancy said...

You're welcome to come here for the extravaganza that is HyVee Tri. It's an international event with the pros and then has an amateur event...

Wes said...

There is a service that will allow you to drop your bike off at the LBS. They pack it and ship it for you. Then, you reverse the process on the way home. You'd have to see if they support that in ND. Patience, grass hoppa. A tri will come to you. I know this :-)

Jess said...

Welcome home and good luck with the beginning of so much training!

Marcy said...

I absolutely agree with Lisa, if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen ;-)

Danielle said...

Yeah, Lifetime is nice...but so darn expensive (and a few things they've done and changed kind of ticked me off) I miss some of it, but keep telling myself for the price difference, Bally's is fine!

I've wondered that myself about traveling with all that stuff...If I ever do an Ironman, I kind of want to do the one in Coer'd lane, ID, near my friends, but man, that would almost mean driving cause I can't imagine flying with it all!!

IronGambit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IronGambit said...

Well, if you say IF you finish your first half... then the answer is yes I'll be seeing you then!
If you can't run, walk, if you can't walk, crawl.

akshaye said...

I hope you find another tri.. what plan are you using for the half>?

akshaye said...

oops.. just saw your comment.. nevermind!

P.O.M. said...

You'll definately be able to do a half. Just stick to your training! Good luck :)

Badgergirl said...

Good luck with your half marathon training! I'm toying with a mid-May half-marathon myself, we could be virtual training buddies :)

Mendy said...

Good luck on your half training!! And so wish you will be able to find a traithlon without having to travel so far. There are some great ones in our SC series, that are well organized, but know it's a bit too far. Hope it all works out for you!

Jess said...

I have no idea how you travel for a tri...traveling for running is easy...throw your shoes (and everything in a bag) get in car, drive lol

also just checked out your running schedule...the Rock N' Roll half in Va. Beach is such a fabulously awesome race to run!

Jess said...

my email is jmilcetich@gmail.com

I'm excited about the book club!

rinusrunning said...

Goodluck for your half marathon training.I run Sonday the 27-01-2008 de Marrakesh marathon in Marroc! wis my goodluck ;-).
Groet Rinus.
http://rinusrunning.punt.nl/?home=1