Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comfort Comes First

The meat of this post has nothing to do with running, swimming, or the gym for that matter. Even though I am sick and tired of getting shafted on my 30 minute runs. When I start increasing the length of my weekday runs, I might have to either go at the butt-crack of dawn (5am) ... or save it for later (after 7pm) ... even though it is extremely hard to get myself to pull my ars off the couch after sitting there for a bit!

On a Non-running note ... Have I mentioned how God-awful-flippin-stinkin-face numbing-fingers tingling-cuss words-cold it is here? Just to give you a little taste of this, although you will never truly know unless you come here, it was negative 15 degrees when I left for school on monday. With windchill, I believe it was negative 25. Yesterday it wasn't as cold, probably 7 degrees, but we had 35 mph wind gust that felt like ice scraping across your face. ... there was possibility of frost bite in a matter of minutes. Today.... not as cold, but still dang windy.

So, where am I going with this post?

Besides looking for sympathy? Come on, give it to me... YOU imagine going to the gym to get into the pool, swim your swim, get out shower, just to crawl into a freezing car with leather seats that sound like their going to crack open they are so cold. YOU try to imagine motivating yourself to crawl out of your warm bed, change into running cloths, only to run your ass to your car parked in the garage to go to the gym at the weee hours of the morning. Bleh.

Still, where am I going with this?

It's not going to go away. In fact, it's only going to get worse. Not just for one day. Not just for two days. But for the next week ... at the least.

Stacy ... what is your point?

My point ... which there really isn't one besides looking for sympathy ... we got an email from our principal today. No, we are not canceling school because of the weather .. but he has offered us the next best thing. He stated that if we are going have to go out in this weather, we might as well do it in comfort! So, thursday and friday he has offered us the opportunity to wear jeans, sweatshirts, sweat pants, etc. Come comfy! I love it!

I am going comfy tomorrow! Too bad I don't own a Celtics sweatshirt... my Dad would be proud! :)

16 comments:

akshaye said...

You always have my sympathy! I admire your motivation for getting out in the cold.

We got some snow here today.. its all over the news. Our local news would be like watching Comedy Central for you :)

IronGambit said...

Add that one to your book club? :)

miss petite america said...

dude, i can't deal with that kind of weather. it's 40 degrees here in the morning and i feel like it's freezing. if i don't see sun in 48 hours, i feel like i'll wilt and die from lack of vitamin k. the weather is one of the many reasons i'm back in california and not d.c. i am not genetically built for that kind of cold.

so even THINKING of getting out of your bed in YOUR kind of weather blows my mind. you have my sympathy.

Wes said...

Awwww. Stacy! I feel so bad for you having to suffer through all that cold weather. I wonder if we could transplant ND closer to Georgia :-) I'll make a few calls ;-)

Allez said...

I was going to the Univ of Minnesota and they wouldn't close school when it was -30 (temp) with windchills at -70. MISERABLE! Which is why I live in Texas now :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree it is way too cold! And, I also can't get out of bed. Enjoy your dress down days.

Jess said...

You have my sympathy -- that is cold!

Marcy said...

Whoooaaa Momma! YOu def have my sympathy. That is just WAAYYYY too cold, even for me LOL

Love, love, love the shirt up in the header!

Danielle said...

I can totally empathize with you. When I saw the forecast I thought huh?? What...and the two warm (read temps in the double digits) days we've had here this week I've been sick and opted to not go yesterday at all and today going after work. Tomorrow I want to get up and get to the gym, but it's going to be so cold...people just don't get it. Of course to me, -5, -10, it's all the same. Until you put the wind in of course. -10 no wind and -10 wind HUGE difference.

RunnerGirl said...

Oh you lucky girl! Comfy day beats regular ole Jeans Day for sure.

By the way, I love the new headline picture on the blog.

Neese said...

we got snow lastnight/this morning!...lots of people wore jeans to work today i was like what is this with snow and jeans? lol..

MNFirefly said...

That cold weather SUCKS! I still remember the Freeze of 1995.

Badgergirl said...

I feel your pain. In fact, the cold is making an appearance here tomorrow. Just in time for the weekend, when the mercury isn't supposed to rise about 0 degrees.

Unknown said...

You totally have my sympathy. It hasn't been above freezing for a several days here. It was 12 deg yesterday when I went to work, and the wind was howling and I have no freaking idea what the wind chill was, but it was too freaking cold to think about anything triathlon training related. And that probably seems like balmy weather compared to what you have. So yeah..you totally have my sympathy!

Mendy said...

I know I've said this before, but I just can't imagine. That's nuts! and you soooo have my sympathy. I don't think I'd leave my home at all.

Love the new blog format! It's rockin'.

Ms Eva said...

I loved dress down days - we had them every Fri and the school was a clash of colors (half in green & yellow for the Oregon Ducks / half in orange & black for the Beavers). Fun times.