Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fitting it in... with flexibility

If there is anything I have learned with this multisport I have grown to love, it's to be flexible. Thanks to all your comments and suggestions to my post yesterday, in addition to me pounding my head against my laptop all day, I think I figured out a tenative schedule. (subject to change)

Monday:
(AM) Short run
(PM) BodyPump class

Tuesday:
(AM) Long Swim

Wednesday:
Run (possible Speedwork)

Thursday:
Long Bike

Friday:
REST -
or Pilates/Yoga

Saturday:
Long Run

Sunday:
BRICK: short swim/short bike

Throw in a couple 30 minute yoga sessions here and there, as well as my TriPower routine and I am golden!



I want to make note of a few ideas I got from your comments on my post; one's that I really want to keep in mind:

  1. Right now I don't need to focus on all three disciplines, but just maintaining some sort of level of fitness. At this point, my focus is running (for the next couple of months at least) and if I need to "skip" a workout, the first to go will be a swim or bike. Plain and simple. Bodypump class would be third.

  2. Two a days are hard for me. It's hard for me to get to the gym two times in a day; I could do it one day during the week, but that's about it. I liked Leana's idea of squeezing in 20 minutes on the treadmill before the pool or after BodyPump class. Great idea!

  3. I can't skip out on yoga. It's just not an option. I firmly believe that because of regular yoga, core strengthening routine, and bodypump, I am still running, 97% painfree.

Thanks again for all your lovely advice!

17 comments:

Shannon said...

That looks doable! Good job! I really admire you for making time for each of the activities you enjoy. I really should experiment with more, but I don't have a gym membership right now so classes are out. I will be going cross country skiing soon though which should be a great workout!

Kelly said...

I agree you should not skip yoga. I have a terrible time fitting it all in also, and there is really no options for me to go to the gym twice (except on weekends I guess, but I just figure do it all at once). I squeeze in some cardio/lifting before and after my regular gym workouts.

Lori Lynn said...

That looks like a great schedule.
Sometimes it is hard to be flexible, but it looks like you're able to fit everything in. :-)

Pining for Pinterest said...

WOW! That is a packed schedule but I have no doubt that you can do it :-)

Lily on the Road said...

Awesome, and you are correct, yoga is to remain the one constant, it'll help with your balance, core and peace of mind. Good job!!

Anonymous said...

I love how you figured out how to prioritize different kinds of workouts. Hope it helps you out!!

Anonymous said...

If you like running or biking outside, your two-a-day doesn't have to be two trips to the gym. Sometimes I do two-a-days and never get to the gym once. Just something to think about.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! You'll get that 3% back soon enough.

Runner Leana said...

Yes, flexibility is key! Sounds like you've got the right idea. You know what your main focus is and things will fit in around that. Good luck!

Marlene said...

Looks like a good schedule and I totally agree that flexibility will be KEY. Sometimes it's just not going to be possible to hit every workout. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Glad you figured out a schedule that will work for you! Stay flexible and all will work out just fine.

Jess said...

Sounds like a great schedule that you worked out!

Anonymous said...

funny thign for me - the firt thign to go HAS been yoga. But, as soon as I added it back, eevn if jsut for alil bit post workout..I immediately felt betta...keep it up!

Anne said...

Take advantage of that flexibility - and rest day!

Jess said...

Looks like a very reasonable schedule!

MCM Mama said...

Reading your schedule made me tired. Can I take a nap now? ;o)

Looks like you've got it nicely organized now.

Badgergirl said...

Looks like a great schedule!