Thursday, February 5, 2009

Strengthening exercises

Sometimes I think I make a mountain out of a mole hill with some of my "injuries". Maybe I am just being extra cautious. I don't know.

Yesterday's issue with my right knee left me worried. Worried about my long run I had planned for this weekend. Worried about the half marathon. Yeah, the half marathon that is in 3 months from Monday. You would think I would be happy that I still have three months to prepare, giving myself some much needed rest before building those miles back up again. That however, isn't the case.

Last night I spent a good amount of time doing some strengthening exercises while I was watching some basketball on tv. I found this really good website that talks about the knee and different kinds of exercises you can do. After doing a handful last night, my knee was better this morning. The ultimate test was going down, and most importantly up the stairs. No pain. No issues. All day my knee was fine. Absolutely fine.

Was it a fluke?

I did a couple strengthening exercises on and off while I was at work today. At least the ones that I was able to do without having to lie on the floor. After work, I wanted to test it out on the treadmill. I told myself if it started to bother me, I would quit. 'Nuff said. Sure enough, it did bother me a bit... but not as bad as Wednesday. After a mile I called it quits and did some lifting and more leg strengthening.

Grr.

Tomorrow I will hit the pool for a nice speed session, giving my knee another day. I will just continue to do the strengthening exercises multiple time a day, and hope for the best.

One day at a time.

Today's Song:
Play'N Skillz ft. Pitbull - Get Freaky
(in sidebar)
(Caution: lyrics are not for the ears of little ones)

17 comments:

Jess said...

I'm glad the exercises seemed to help a little bit. Keep at them and hopefully the knee won't keep acting up.

Aron said...

yes one day at a time... hope those knee issues stay away! glad it is feeling better :)

Carly said...

I am glad that the knee exercises are helping a little bit. Hopefully with a little more rest it will be back to normal.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good to hear it's feeling better today! not a bad thing to be cautious and aware of your body...

Unknown said...

best wishes with the knee. hope it's nothing serious. sounds promising since it felt okay on stairs earlier in the day.

I Run for Fun said...

Keep up the stretching and swimming. You're doing the right thing. Better safe than sorry!

I Run for Fun said...

Keep up the stretching and swimming. You're doing the right thing. Better safe than sorry!

Shannon said...

Keep stretching and strengthening, sometimes you just got to ride it out. Love the track!

Carolina John said...

Cool! good find on the knee web site. i'm going to go through some of those for my session on sunday.

Wes said...

Sometimes, you can just tweak something the wrong way, eh? But you listen to your body, which is REALLY a good thing :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess I shouldn't play that song with my students around. Which reminds me of the Eminem song "Shake That" which I just discovered. FAR from kid friendly.

Jess said...

3 months is plenty of time to rest, recover, and still build mileage for a HM, so try not to let the injury worry you or your plans!

Runner Leana said...

How is the mileage on your shoes? If you are really worried it may be worthwhile going to see a chiro or physio guy. You still have plenty of time before your half marathon though, and better to be cautious and avoid an injury!

SavvyFitChica said...

I think it's smart that you're listening to your body and I don't know that you're overreacting.

I think icing it is important too so make sure you're doing that. Strengthening should *really* help in my opinion.

BeachRunner said...

Glad you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Keep it up! Strengthening defintely helps. If you need more advanced exercises I could always fax you our MD's protocol.

Laurel said...

Ugh, knee issues are the worst. i have had many issues with them in the past.

Leg strengthening, stretching, and different shoes are what worked for me. Oh, and taking some serious time off. LOL.

Hang in there. It's good you're being aware and not ignoring it (like I usually do).