Monday, February 9, 2009

A good swim, rain, stress, and a craving for a run

I went to the pool this morning and kicked out 1600M. I was really hoping for 2000M, but I had to get to work early to prepare for a big meeting today and was on a time crunch. 1600M would have to do.

Instead of just kicking out 1600M straight, I tried to make it a bit more challenging, breaking it into 3 parts: 500M, 500M, and 600M.

  • The first 500M were nice and slow, foccusing mostly on getting my rhythm down and paying close attention to my form. Total time was 10:20, 2:04/100M.
  • The second 500M I wanted to push it a bit harder, but not too hard that I was going to have to take a break. Total time was 9:44, 1:56/100M.
  • The final 600M were to be a nice and slow consistent cool down. I think I was anxious to get it finished and get out of the pool. I know that I pushed myself a bit harder in the last 100M just to get it done. Total time was 12:14, 2:02/100M.

This was a fun workout. I can't wait to try it again and push myself a bit harder in the 2nd set!

It has been raining here all day. This is an oddity for ND in February. There are still mounds of snow all around, and it is raining. In fact, we are under a freezing rain storm warning. It's rediculous. The roads were horrible this morning and they are only going to be worse tomorrow when the temps drop back down below freezing.

Work was uber stressful this today. Enough to curb my appetite and give me a nice headache. The kids were great, however. 'nuff said.

On the flip side, my body is craving a good long run. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a nice 2-3 miler pain free. I just want to be able to get back to running and not have to deal with this darn knee issue. I know I said Saturday that I was going to wait to run until Thursday of this week, but I might try a mile tomorrow prior to getting on the bike to see how the knee is doing.

Today's Workout:
Swim - 16:00M

Today's Song:
Matchbox 20 - Push
(in sidebar-->)

22 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

awesome job on the swim! We're getting the rain tomorrow... weird, but better than snow!

Unknown said...

Good swimmin'!

IronGambit said...

thats why i am in miami right now:)

Unknown said...

Great swim. I really need to get back into it.

Kelly said...

Hope your knee feels better soon! Way to go on the swim!

Laurel said...

It seems that everyone's job has been crazy lately. Must be that time of the year?

The swim sounds great! Good job. Hope the knee is feeling better for your run.

Ms. V. said...

Hey TW...

This is really weird. Remember how I said that I hadn't been getting your feed? Well, tonight I log on, and the post about the guy in an avalanche hit me.

I think someone I know went to that funeral. How weird is that, and yes...life is short.

Shannon said...

I'm getting in the pool this week. Not really looking forward to it. I'll be inspired by your post.

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job swimming.

Anonymous said...

Good job on the swim. I hope today is less stressful.

Sherry said...

You are such a rock star swimmer! Awesome job!

I think most of us can relate to your pain in the knee (arse). When you love to run, it just stinks having something that prevents you from doing so. I have kinesiotape running up my right calf right now, so believe me, I feel your pain. Slow and steady wins the race though, right? :o)

Stay warm in all of the icy stuff!

Jess said...

Knee issues are so frustrating! Just be careful if you test it out.

Jess said...

I heard about the freezin rain in your area! Yikes. Be careful driving.

BeachRunner said...

Way to rock the swim. Sorry to hear my Teachy is feeling stressed. You need to relax and destressify with a good night's sleep or a glass or two of red wine. How about shoot for both of those things tonight?

peanutbutter&jelly said...

yahoo to getting your workout in. im hitting pool tom am and right now im dreading it!

Aron said...

great job on the swimming!! i hope you get your long run in soon!

Erin Leigh said...

Good job in the pool!! Making me want to swim.

Holly said...

Yes, this weather is ridiculous! I took a personal day today because there was no travel advised this morning. I'm sure glad I did because now the interstate is closed!

Wes said...

You are def getting stronger and more comfortable in the water! You should think about descending 100s too. No break, just each 100 faster. That will break up the distance.

sunshine said...

Looks like some kick-butt swims there, lady. Hope the knee starts treating you better soon!

Anne said...

Ain't that always the case -- we crave what we can't have, probably because we can't have it. The knee will heal soon enough and it sounds like you've found an opportunity to improve your swimming while you wait.

Freezing rain?! I am so glad I no longer live north!!

J~Mom said...

Great swim!!