Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Today ... will be a better day ...

Last night we had our softball tournament. I was quite disappointed with our short season to begin with, and then to finish it off with a 2-game tournament? Both our games were played against a division 3 team (and we are division 4). The first game we were able to get a good lead in the 2nd inning but the 3rd inning was out of control and the umpire was inconsistent with his calls and very blind. We are lucky a couple of our guys weren't kicked out of the game. The second game was just as rough, with some bad calls, but we were able to pull through and take 3rd place overall!!

It's funny because half of our team consists of teachers, mostly high school teachers. Last night our first baseman (who was a high school teacher but took a new job this summer), was hassled by a member of the other team. He had jumped to reach a ball, dropped it, and said "that's okay, we play fair" in regards to some bad calls. The member from the other team shouted "I saw the grade you gave my child!" ... he replied with "I saw the child who earned the grade." I can't believe a parent would talk smack like that during a softball game. I just had to chuckle at his response.

--------

Today, I have my gym bag packed for a long swim after work. I through the bag in front of my door, this way to make sure I don't forget it like yesterday. *see previous post*

Today, will be a better day!

12 comments:

Marcy said...

Oy, about the parent. I can on;y imagine :-/

And YES today WILL be a better day ;D

Anonymous said...

ok that exchange is FRIGGIN PRICELESS!!

have a good day!

Mendy said...

I almost forgot my swim bag this morning, and had to go back upstairs to fetch it. I hate it when I do that, so I understand. I've got a 1500 today. Have a great swim!!!

That's very childish about the comment. I love the comeback though! Perfect!

Lily on the Road said...

Just catching up!!!

Love the family pictures, wow!!

As for the comment on the ball field, sounds like the parent was more of a child than the child! Can't believe someone would stoop so low....well, ya, I can...

Things WILL get better, have a great swim!

RunnerGirl said...

I can't believe a parent said that during your game . . . but I LOVE the teacher's response!

Wes said...

It's funny how for a lot of people, extracurricular activities affect their careers! Have a great new day!

P.S. Tomorrow is one too!! :-)

Ms Eva said...

Great response! I wish I were quick and witty! Some parents - you can only grit your teeth.

Tomorrow WILL be a better day. :D

jay_say said...

Can't believe a parent would say something like that... not even at a school event...

A member of our 6th grade team has a banner over her door - this has become our team moto - "I DON'T GIVE GRADES - YOU EARN THEM!" We even refer to this to the kids during the year as well as during parent teacher conferences.

E said...

How funny is that about the parents!

Hope your swim later is great.

akshaye said...

Haha.. quick fire response!

Enjoy your swim.

Jess said...

Love that fellow teacher's comeback!

Erin Leigh said...

WTF is up with parents?? The issues already started for me coaching a 3-4 year old soccer team this year, lol.