Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rekindling a love/hate Relationship

I was hoping to get on my bike today but knew the second I was leaving for work this morning that it was not going to happen. Yesterday it was very humid and warm. A storm system came through and totally whacked up our weather. This morning when I left for work it was only in the 60's but the breeze/wind was cold. When I left work, it was 68 degrees with winds gusting anywhere from 21-30mph.

A constant breeze, or wind less than 15mph is do-able. This I have done before. But when you get those nasty gusts more than 20mph and you are out on the open roads with nothing but fields for miles... there is nothing protecting you. It would be a matter of seconds before you fly off the road!

I am just not hardcore enough to attempt this kind of weather... yet.So, even though I didn't get on my bike this afternoon, and was very pissed, very pissed... I waited all afternoon and headed to spin class this evening.

*Gasp*

rekindle
Yep. I haven't been to spin in probably 2 months and I realized how much I missed it. Some cyclists believe that spin class is nothing like riding the open roads. I agree. There are definite differences. But, I don't agree when some argue that it isn't a good workout. That is a load of bull crap! Our instructor knows her shiznit and kicks us in the ars... We work every part of the body, arms, core, and legs (obviously). Two minutes in I was dripping wet (good sign I am drinking enough water). I was dying by the time I was done. I need to get to spin class at least once every couple of weeks. It was so freakin' awesome!

OCN: 17.43 miles, 50:13, avg. 20.82mph
10 minutes of abs afterwards

21 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Ahhhh, yes, spinning is wonderful. I'll have to rekindle that relationship, too!

Erin Leigh said...

I have to start spin classes. I just got the new schedule from my gym yesterday.

Sorry you couldn't get out there to ride but sounds like the class was awesome!!

RunnerGirl said...

I have to agree, spinning class is "fun" because you leave feeling like you got in an amazing workout. Its just hard as hell!

Kevin said...

Spin is great when you find the right instructor. Thats why I tend to use my trainer rather then go to spin

Wes said...

Yea, I was gonna say invest in a trainer, but spin is good too!! Way to persevere!!!!

Marcy said...

What? You didn't want to bike outside? :P I don't blame you chica. Even without the wind and perfect conditions I'm too scared LOL

Jess said...

I love spinning too and it's been way too long since I've been there...I might try it soon though and see how my knee holds up

akshaye said...

Work?? School's already open?

Well.. I guess spinning is for the winter - or for days like that!

Holly said...

I've never tried spinning before. I think it looks/sounds like a lot of fun (and hard work)!

Jess said...

No winds match those of the plains. Probably best to stay indoors for the spin class.

Unknown said...

I've never been fond of spinning, but keep in mind, I also don't like the dreadmill and I get bored by endless laps in the pool.

All of those things make me feel like a hampster in a cage. not my thang. I much prefer the great outdoors.

IronGambit said...

don't be upset! I am not in France just yet!! :)

Badgergirl said...

I've always wanted to try a spin class. Maybe once the weather turns frigid I'll have to.

Ms Eva said...

I need to give spinning another chance - my butt is just too soft, I guess. :D

Nat said...

I agree. Spinning classes are great and they make you work hard!

Anonymous said...

Spinning is a good workout. When I am finished I am disgustingly sweaty.

Ya, riding in those conditions, I would be scared to get blown away too.

jahowie said...

I still have not tried a spin class. It sounds pretty hardcore though. Nice job!!

Stef0115 said...

I so agree with ya on the spin class! Good for you for going when you knew you weren't going to ride on the road!

J~Mom said...

I have heard that spin is a great way to train!!! If you love it then you should do it! :>D

Molly said...

I determin how hard I have worked by how much I sweat...I am sweating two minute in as well...so, I LOVE spinning too! I am going Sunday, can't wait!
Take Care

Sherry said...

I could totally relate to this post. I live in a very open (and flat area) of South FL and I often deal with headwinds and crosswinds, but I dealt with a seriously windy day (24mph) this Spring where I probably should have stayed home! I just couldn't resist b/c I knew that it would be on the last cool days we would have. OMG... talk about a grueling ride. Man, I was holding on to that bike for dear life! I'm so glad that I decided to take up spin classes... makes missing some of those outdoor bike days 'almost' justifiable.