Wednesday, October 1, 2008

September: Month in Review

Well, here it is. September's month in review. I can't believe the month is already over!

Let's compare those numbers.

  • SWIM - 8100M .........................12,700M in August
  • BIKE - 48.62 miles ..................70.64 miles in August
  • RUN - 25.99 miles....................20.55 miles in August

I sure don't know what to think about these numbers. They are what they are. When I look at my calendar laid out in front of me, I notice that 13 out of the 30 days were REST days... I can blame a large number of these to being sick with the worst head cold I have ever had and being out of town with training for work. However, that's only about half of them and poor excuse are left for the rest.

When I look ahead to October, I know things will be a bit busy with closing on a house and moving, but at least I am not planning on going anywhere that will take away my weekend workouts. This month won't be about quantity of miles or meters, but the quality of each workout.

Here are a handful of short-term goals I put together:

  • The focus will be running. Period. I want to start doing some longer runs as well as more interval runs to work on increasing speed. I am working to Shave my 5K in less than a couple months!
  • Swim two times/week.... one being a longer swim and one primarily focusing on speed.
  • Bike at least 1 time/week.... with the weather changing, biking isn't going to be occuring outdoors. It's time to move back indoors and I would like to get back into Spin class once a week. If I have more time for biking after that, great.
  • Lifting at least two times per week... I usually break my lift sessions in half. One half focusing on the lower extremities, and the other half working on the upper body and core. I break these in half because I am trying to fit them in before or after my cardio and usually don't have enough time to get all lifting done, especially when I workout in the morning. I am trying to figure out if it would just be easier to do ALL lifting one day, and then the same on another day, or continue to break it up like this, which technically means I am lifting 4 times/week. Anything thoughts?

I think that is it. I think.

Happy October, folks!

18 comments:

SavvyFitChica said...

Those are some great goals. If you're lifting twice per week, there's no reason you can't do your whole body at a time- making sure you put a few days in between workouts.

Try to strength train faster. That's one thing I've learned about CrossFit- your workouts can cover your entire body and only take 20 minutes...

GOOD LUCK W/ SHAVING YOUR 5K TIME!

Kelsalynn

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it is Ocober already! Where did September go? I like how for each sport you have a plan within a plan.

Jess said...

Those look like good October goals!

Anonymous said...

Great goals and great numbers considering everything you had going on.

Unknown said...

When I do strength work, it's a devoted strength session with no cardio. So some day I do two things : strength at one time and cardio at another. FYI, when I do it like that, I do strength first so I can rewear my gym clothes (not too sweaty) for the cardio. If I do it the other way around, I end up needing two sets of gym clothes.

Marcy said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've gotta do my totals as well . . .

Looking good chica ;D ;D

ncrunner12 said...

I love the idea of making new goals for the month, and yours look great. Good luck with all of them this month, and I can't wait to see what your 5K time ends up being... kill it.

Wes said...

Those are good numbers! You are turning in some consistent workouts, despite being sick and super busy! Good for you!!!

Unknown said...

I really need to start keeping track of my totals. I think I would be disappointed though. Sounds like you have a great plan for the month on top of a busy schedule.

Aron said...

great job on a great september!!!! you have great goals set too... and dont forget what a workout moving is :) that is exhausting in itself! (and i think can count for some cardio/weight sessions)

Viv said...

Great job and way to set some great October goals. I am with you on the lifting I just have to make it happen. I am still laughing at your comments on Marcy's blog sayin gthe duvet for the new diggs. LOL!

IronGambit said...

goals are good! I am more of a short term goal oriented individual myself ! :)

Ms. V. said...

Are you training for a race?

BOBBI McCORMICK said...

I need to do goals everymonth, you have some great ones!

Holly said...

I cannot believe it's October already, either! I don't doubt that this month will fly by, too!

J~Mom said...

Just got caught up over here! I think your month looks great! I am going to be turning my focus to running soon as well! Congrats on buying a house!! I can't wait to see it! I hate moving though!

akshaye said...

I like the wisdom of "they are what they are".

But I agree... the goal should always be to bring the rest days down to 4-5. That will implicitly take care of the numbers.

Sherry said...

Yes, I am bust playing blow catch-up once again. :o)

I think your goals are totally achievable. At one point during Spring/Summer, I approached my swim training in the same manner: one day for endurance, one day for speed. It worked very well for me and kept things fresh and balanced.

I think your Sept. stats look terrific considering everything that you had going on. Keep up the great work!