Sunday, November 9, 2008

Preparing to Trot

All week I had been planning on doing a run outdoors this weekend. I knew that it wasn't going to be as warm as the two runs I had earlier this week (in the 50's), but I wanted to run outdoors, to get ready for the turkey trot in a few weeks.


Note: I am thankful for the small dusting of snow we received this week. In comparison to the western portion of the state, this is nothing. Ironically, we, those who are in the eastern portion of the state are still under a flood watch. weird.

Last year the temp was 15 degrees, and I completed the 5k in 37:10 (average 11:59/mile). Today, when I went out, it was 25 degrees; with the windchill it was 15 degrees. Pretty similar, however I was able to run 2.95 miles in 34:39 (average 11:44/mile). I figure that if I keep running outdoors in these cooler temps, I will be ready for whatever kind of weather we will have on Turkey Day. last year was terribly cold, windy, and icy, however a few years ago we had family playing cards out on the patio after Thanksgiving dinner. Who knows what it will be like.

Yesterday I spent most of the day painting my living room and hallway in the basement. It's amazing how long things take when you do them on your own. I plan on unpacking some more boxes today, and maybe start putting some pictures up on the way. Check back later for those.

Happy Sunday!






Today's Workout: 2.95 mile run, 34:39, 11:44/mile average
Temperature - 25 degrees, felt like 15 with 15mph wind out of the NNW
- dusting of snow on ground with few ice patches here and there
- took two 1-minute walk breaks to get rid of the side stitch, adjusting to the cold air
Today's Song: Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Gone Gone Gone

16 comments:

Kelly said...

So I haven't gotten completely caught up. But it looks like you're training for a turkey trot in really cold weather! Nice job on going out for the run!

Anonymous said...

Way to get out there in the cold

I Run for Fun said...

Nice job...easing into winter.

Unknown said...

We have been in our new house for more than a year and we are still unpacking and doing things to it.

Nice job with the run in that cold weather.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh burrrr!!!! It was coolish today but in the 40s. 15 is getting down there. I love when you can compare and see progress.

We'll have to swap cold weather running gear recommendations.

Unknown said...

Brrrrr. Sounds chilly to me. Good job!

Unknown said...

Glad someone else went out in this cold today. I did my long run today and it was anything but warm for the first few miles.

Marcy said...

OMG you guys are in winter temps already?!? That is just nuts!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

good job getting out there, hope the weather for the turkey trot will be better than this weekend! :)

Michelle said...

Great run TW!!!

I am doing a turkey trot also!! A 5 miler!! I am looking forward to that!!

Hope your Sunday is going great!!

N.D. said...

Whoa you need help with that painting - that is killer!

Great job on the run - a bit chilly!!

Neese said...

I just love this time of year of the turkey trot, no matter the result, yay for you! :)

BeachRunner said...

Wow that is cold, Teachy. You have my utmost respect and admiration for running in those conditions.

Badgergirl said...

Smart thinking, fitting in some outdoor runs before the Turkey Trot. I hadn't even thought of that. 15 degrees is a bit chilly though! Hopefully it warms up a few degrees for Turkey Day!

Neesha and Dustin said...

I'm training for a Turkey Trot, too! But I feel so bad that your temperature is so low. We saw on the news how you guys got hit by snow and wondered how you were faring!

Way to turn your nose to the weather and do your thing! Keep on running, girl! We will defeat the Trot together! (albeit in separate places :)

Viv said...

I saw the pics on reader but ould not see it once I came to your blog, but I did get to see em'. The place is looking fantastic! I heart the bathroom with the polka dot curtain so cute! You have really transformed it to a place with your signature all over it. Great run, I can't imagine running in that cold of weather. My lungs freeze in the 50's LOL!