Thursday, August 19, 2010

Three Things Thursday

1. Workouts - I took two complete rest days after Sunday's tri (race report still in progress). So, yesterday I took advantage of my parents treadmill and ran. I was hoping to do at least 3 miles and struggled through most of them. My breathing was very laborous and annoying. But, things seemed to fall into place and I pushed through another mile after the 3. Today, my legs felt fresh, so I hopped on the treadmill again today - working primarily on some speed. Nothing in specific, but just got the legs really kicking. Ahhhh. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for workouts starting next week - a part of me wants to start training for a half marathon... a part of me wants to work on speedwork... a part of me just wants to focus on incorporating more strength training and yoga/pilates.... decisions, decisions.

2. Reads - One thing I am not looking forward to about going back to work and starting up with another grad class is that I won't get much pleasure reading in. In the past few weeks I finished The Shack (love love love - will probably re-read it), Deception Point, and am currently working on The Time Travelers Wife. I have so many books that I have borrowed from people that I want to get back before I forget! What are you reading?

3. Dinner with Gramps - Since I am home for the week, mom and I thought it would be nice to bring dinner to Grandpa. After my Grandma passed away this winter, all of my mom's siblings have been really good about making sure Grandpa had everything he needs to live on his own. My Grandma did everything for him and it didn't take long for him to realize this after she passed away - I remember when he made the remark that he has never had to make the bed before. It's been a surprise to see him do so well, considering he is legally blind with Macular Degeneration and can't drive a car. Must be due to the fact that he is a stubborn German, just like the rest of us. Many family members have taken turns bringing him meals, doing laundry for him while visiting, taking him to church, etc. I guess there's an advantage of having 12 kids... and 28 grandkids. And, it just so happens that tonights church mass is for my Grandma, so that will be nice to attend.

Happy Thursday, y'all!

17 comments:

Marlene said...

Aw, I got a little teary reading number 3. My grandfather would have been the same way, if he hadn't passed first. It's nice that you've all been able to chip in so much.

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Aw thats so cute about your grandfather, I'm glad he is doing well. It's rare to hear stories of men outliving women so I don't think they always realize how much their wife did for them! (I don't think my husband will be realizing that haha, since I don't do much haha)

What grad class are you taking? I am thinking of taking one but not sure I want to give up the money and/or my pleasure reading time- I have been reading James Patterson lately :)

J said...

So cute but also sad about your grandfather. Glad he has so much family to help and take care of him!

I loved The Shack and Time travelers wife. Currently not reading anything - heading to the library tomorrow!

NicLovesMornings said...

My grandpa is in a similar situation. My grandma passed this winter after being married to my grandpa for 75 years! Families are such a blessing!

It's hard to find your workout schedule after training for a race for months at a time... I bet it will be great to have a little more workoout variety in your life!

RockStarTri said...

Half marathons and speed work are not mutually exclusive!

Jess said...

I'm reading "Fly Away Home" by Jennifer Weiner. It's good!

MCM Mama said...

Glad your grandfather is doing so well. Having such a big family is definitely a blessing.

AM! said...

nice! and love number three:). and 12 kids!! holy molt

Unknown said...

It makes me choke up when anyone talks about a grandparent living without their loved one. I remember when my grandpa was going through this, he was miserable. We all pitched in a lot to do the things you're doing now too. i really enjoyed doing small things for my grandpa, I got to know him a lot better before he left us.

Holly said...

Your family is so awesome! Your grandpa is lucky to have all of you. :)

I'm disappointed about school starting next week because I know I won't get much "fun" reading done. :(

Anonymous said...

If you liked The Shack, they say you will love Rooms by James Rubart. I actually didn't particularly care for The Shack - too sunshiney for me I think, but Rooms looks like a good read. I just finished Eva Moves the Furniture by Margot Livesey and really enjoyed it.

Jess said...

I also hated during school how I never had time to read for fun. Hope you can crank out some more pleasure reading before it's time to hit the books too hard.

Unknown said...

Good luck figuring out what you want to focus on for workouts next. :-)

Dori said...

I don't work and I still don't have time for fiction. I'll look for that book, though.

Congrats on your tri. Team Ortho is having an event in Mpls that you might like. Here's the info:
Get ready to join lots of your friends in a great adventure. 5K of run/walk interspersed with ten fun and exciting "adventures". Adventures like: The Serpent, Into the Woods, The Mine Field, The Black Holes, Hay Fever Ridge, Swamp COMMANDO and more. Get ready to GO COMMANDO on Saturday, September 18, 2010. The 3.1 mile course will thrill you around every turn and you will leave with event with a big post-race party smile and a r...enewed glow of self-confidence. All Commandos get a GO COMMADO Tshirt, finisher’s medal, GO COMMANDO race bib, an UNFORGETTABLE post-race party.

Find more info at www.gocommando.us

Register Now! https://secure.marathonguide.com/register/TeamOrtho/GoCommando/

Anne said...

My sister gave me her copy of The Shack last year. Maybe I should dust it off and open it since you seemed to really enjoy it.

Anne said...

What a nice supportive family your grandpa has...loved reading this.

I totally enjoy reading...I'm going to check out The Shack :)
I'm currently reading a book called "Because She Can" ...looking good so far.

As for the classes at the gym, I only ended up going to the yoga class and I've registered for one outside the gym this fall...so I should be good with my home gym.

Anonymous said...

That's the one thing I dread about going back to school too.. less pleasure reading, I'm going to miss it : (