I have posted many times my frustrations with irritated, dry, and chapped skin, which I think has been the result of the dry winter and numerous hours in the pool for swim team practice. My face had dry patches on it (the cheeks and forehead), I had pink quarter-sized dry patches on my upper arms, a dry patch on both eyelids, and my ears were pink, dry, and cracking (sometimes burning). I told my aunt, who's a nurse, about my issues and she thought it was a form of eczema. I don't think it's that bad.
I started doing some more preventative things and I think it's helping. For the most part, I am really focusing on moisturizing my skin.
Here's what I'm doing/using:
- I am using Aveeno's Daily Moisturizer everyday! I use it every morning and sometimes before bed, if I remember.
- Before I swim, I put Vaseline on my face and ears in hopes that it will protect my skin from the chlorine. I am in the pool for 2+ hours a week.
- After I swim I use Neutrogena's Pink Grapefruit Body Wash. I love the smell of this refreshing bodywash and the little scrubbies in it make me feel like I am really getting rid of the chlorine and dead skin.
- I also use Aquaphor on my upper arms, where the dry patches seem to show up the most (per the nurse's request). I don't do this every day, but make sure I do it on the days I swim.
- For my face, I use Oil of Olay. Somedays, I will admit that I use Vaseline as a face moisturizer rather than my Oil of Olay. If anyone has any suggestions for a better face lotion, please share. My skin is usually normal or mixed oily/dry, and I am looking to try something different.
- For my hair, I have been using Swimmers Action Shampoo and Conditioner. I absolutely love the way this product makes my hair feel after a long swim session. Absolutely wonderful!
On top of all of that, Joel sent my my Tri-Swim giveaway that I won. It included 4 - 2oz. bottles of shampoo, condition, body wash, and body lotion. Yesterday I was able to try it for the first time after my swim practice. What did I think?
I liked it! I have only used all four products once now, but so far I like it. They all smell good and don't have a heavy fragrance! I will continue to use them until they're gone and then I might just buy the lotion and body wash since I already have a great hair care product for swimming!
And......I got my new goggles this weekend and tested them out for the first time yesterday! I ended up ordering the Aqua Sphere Lady Kaiman goggles that soooo many of you had recommended. It took a few minutes to get them fit right, but after an hour in the pool with little to no readjusting, I was pleased! They fight just right, are easily adjustable, and don't really leave much for ring marks around my eyes. The nose piece isn't adjustable, but it was just the right size and a soft plastic. The bottom of the nose piece started to rub a little bit by the end of my swim, but I realized that all I had to do was adjust the bands in the back a bit. I love them so far! Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!
This skin stuff is just another sign that I am getting old. I mean, Vaseline? Really? If I start going to bed with curlers in my hair I'm in trouble!
What kind of products do you use to protect your skin?