Monday, December 14, 2009

Making progress

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend! I got to hear a great local band Friday, spent a lot of time resting and relaxing (with a little cleaning) on Saturday, and a lot of baking and such on Sunday! I have a Special Ed staff/paraprofessional christmas party that I am hosting this Thursday and trying to get ready for it!



On the workout front, I have been kicking my ass this month! My swimming is lacking a bit, since I am trying to get 100 miles of biking and 45 miles of running accomplished. I will easily make my biking goal - 100 miles - and am more than halfway there. No worries with that!


I still have about 24 miles to go to make my goal of 45 miles for this months challenge. I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Since I have just started experiencing pain free runs, I don't want to push myself into injury again. I have thought of a couple different ways to achieve this distance: 1) do more shorter runs throughout the week, or 2) do a few runs but at longer distances throughout the week.

I think I am going to stick with the shorter runs, but listen to my body. For example, yesterday I got on the treadmill with 3 miles in mind, but ended up doing almost 5 miles again. I threw the towel over the distance and just enjoyed the run. I probably could have gone longer, but wanted to spend a good amount of time stretching and doing some yoga.

I think a lot of my knee issues in the past has stemmed from weak glutes/hamstrings. I also think it might have come from tight hip flexors. I have been doing my AM/PM yoga once and sometimes twice a day for the past week and it has helped immensely. I love yoga!

Do you do yoga? If so, how often and for how long?

17 comments:

Mike Russell said...

I do yoga about once a week or so. I usually have the goal of really stretching out my hamstrings. If you really want to improve your core strength, including your hamstrings and glutes, the book The Core Performance by Mark Vergstegen is worth a look. I have just started on his program and find it has not interrupted my tri training. My flexibility has improve considerably as well.

Anonymous said...

I love just running until you feel like stopping and not looking at the time! It's such a great feeling.
Definitely be careful getting back into it and try not to push it too hard. One of my biggest challenges is knowing when my body has had enough and I need to stop, I just always want to keep going!

Pining for Pinterest said...

I do love yoga! The best for me is the hot yoga! Since I moved to South Carolina I have not found a place to do it yet, but I need to because it makes me feel great after!

MCM Mama said...

I love yoga, but haven't managed to do it in a while.

Good luck finishing up the miles.

Anonymous said...

I am following the athlete's guide to yoga by Sage Rountree. I do yoga once/week and am finding it's helping me alot.

Marlene said...

Good to hear that the yoga has been helping. I rarely do yoga (or any stretching! *shame*)... I really should get back into it.

X-Country2 said...

Nice work on those goals! keep up the good work.

J said...

Well thats good - I am going to yoga tonight so hopefully that will help my knee too! I like yoga but sometimes i am just not in the mood for it, plus it makes me sleepy! lol

SavvyFitChica said...

Nice job so far this month! Keep it up!
I don't do yoga, unfortunately. I wish I did though. I've done it a few times and always feel so much better afterwards.

Jess said...

I love me some yoga, but I have to say I have been neglecting it lately. My legs would probably appreciate it if I got back into the groove.

Jess said...

In my early 20s, yoga was my primary form of fitness, but then when I moved to FL, I just never found a yoga studio that I either liked or that fit my budget, so I pretty much stopped doing it -- and switched to running.

But I miss it; however, I don't really like doing DVds or other recorded programs. For me, it's great to have a live instructor, and I have yet to find that affordable/likeable studio. Until then, I guess I'll continue to slack off on it.

RunToTheFinish said...

i started doing yoga when I got hurt last year and really enjoy it. sometimes I just do my own thing from memory and others I follow a video..usually a 30 minutes session at least 3 times a week, but i stretch daily

Badgergirl said...

Nice job on getting the runs in!

I don't do yoga. I've heard good things about it, contemplated trying it. But never have. Maybe sometime in the future.

justme said...

i have not done yoga, but really want to try it. i have heard it is so good for you for streching and such. need to get to a class.....

RBJ said...

I love yoga. I think it complements running very well because it stretches everything and makes it more limber. Plus, it improves your balance tremendously, mostly due to core workouts. Also, pilates is great for that. After going to yoga/pilates a couple times a week while marathon training, I found it really makes me feel stronger during daily runs. And it lessens lower back pain.

Unknown said...

i go in and out of phases with yoga. i actually have had the best results for my knee with straight up strength training. stiff legged deadlifts for hamstring strength, squats and lunges for glutes and quads.

Wes said...

I do lurve yoga. I wish I could find the time to get'er done :-)