Monday, December 7, 2009

the learning never ends



Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life. ~Henry L. Doherty





It was only two years ago that I completed my masters degree in special education, earning my Special Education Strategist title, which consists the following credentials: Learning Disabilities, Mental Retardation, and Emotional Disturbances (sometimes referred to as Emotional Behavioral Disturbances in other states). Two years ago I had just completed an intense year of residency, working as a full time teacher while taking enough classes to be a full time student.

Come graduation in May of 2007, I was ready to be done, for a long time, and looking forward to just teaching for a while. However, for the past 6 months, I have been toying with the idea to go back to school. I went back and forth over the pros and cons, realizing that there are far more pros than cons.

I am going back to school! I am ready to dive back into those books and earn my Autism Spectrum Disorders Credential.

I didn't want to say anything earlier because this has been a work in progress for the past 2 months! 2 MONTHS I tell ya! And a stressful 2 months at that! I started working on my grad school application in early October. Who knew it would be such a process considering I had just completed grad school two years ago. While applying for grad school, I was also applying for the ND Traineeship Scholarship program which offers money for part and full time students if you get accepted.

And, I got accepted! Each semester, I have to re-apply for this scholarship, but it will be well worth it! My plan is to do this slowly, taking only 1 class per semester (maybe 2 this summer) until I earn my 12 credits! I am in no hurry, but look forward to that lane change (MA +15) in a little over a year!

To top things off, I will be earning this credential all from the comfort of my own home! I am looking forward to taking all these classes online! My first class, Introduction to Autistic Specturm Disorders, begins the 2nd week of January and we meet Wednesdays at 4 or 5 for an hour chat session, with weekly assignments/projects to follow.

Can you tell I am pumped?!


Learning never ends and this is another reminder to myself that I have truly chosen a profession in which I love.

30 comments:

Carly said...

Aw that's great! I personally am a fan of continuing education. I love school! Way to go!

justme said...

i am impressed !!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is awesome! I have had some autistic children in my class before and I have always found it rewarding to work with students with special needs. Congratulations on the scholarship and going back to school. I would like to go back for my doctorate, but I am just waiting to see where my husband and I are going to settle for sure before I start going to school again!

SavvyFitChica said...

YAY! How exciting for you! I think you are on cool chic, you know it? Anyone who continuously challenges themselves like you do is pretty amazing. I'm so happy for you! Keep us posted!

Congrats on the scholarship!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Yay for school! I really love taking classes, its going to be so sad when I graduate.
Learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, autism disorders, that all sounds so interesting to me! Jealous.

Kelly said...

Very, very cool. Congratulations!

Holly said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

Kristen said...

Congratulations!!! That is awesome you got the scholarship. The world needs more teachers like you!

Jess said...

Ohhh I knew something good was in the works after I read your comment from the other day! Congrats girl! If (more like at this point when) I decide to do the grad school thing, I'll be rockin' it part time too because hey, I like having health insurance and I enjoy working. So I think I handle extra busy-ness to do both!

Excited to hear about how it all goes for you!!!

RBJ said...

That's great news! Congrats. I have also been thinking about going back to school at some point.

Unknown said...

great news!

Ms Eva said...

Awesome! I am so excited for you. I recently posted on our homeschool blog about my own journey of life-long learning. Seems many of us are reflecting and looking forward this time of year. Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

bravo!!

I Run for Fun said...

That is wonderful. Congratulations! I would be terrified about going back to school, so I applaud your decision!

Liz said...

That is awesome! :)

Marlene said...

Sounds like a great opportunity to expand your horizons. Congrats!

Wes said...

Awwww... Congratulations, Stacy! I am excited for you!! Never stop learning cause you just keep getting better and better, and I can't think of anybody I'd be happier for!!

Unknown said...

Very exciting!

Jess said...

Exciting! And impressive. Sounds like you are well-prepared for the challenge.

Carly said...

Congratulations! That is exciting for you.

J said...

Congrats on the news! That is so exciting! At least its online too! That makes it so much easier I think!

Carolina John said...

congrats girl! good on ya to take on another challenge. working with children with autism is a special talent indeed.

N.D. said...

congrats on the decision - great news!

Being Robinson said...

awesome! and good for you. so exciting. the day after i graduated with my masters i laid in bed crying begging ed to let me go get my Ph.D...oh how things change! mine was just opposite of yours. funny. anyway, good luck and so cool you are going to go do that.

also congrats on the jingle bell run, looked FREEZINNNNGG, but fun. i vote you add some antlers and actual bells next year ;)

Kelly said...

Yay! Congrats on the scholarship, that is key!
I am ready for a break from school (just got my masters in may) but I know I'll want to go back eventually, but I don't hink I'll want to (be able to) pay. I got my whole masters online and I absolutely LOVED it. There was nothing better than being able to do all the work on my own schedule

Neese said...

impressive! so proud of you! and way cool you can take the classes from home especially when you get so much snow you won't want to go out anymore than usual! :)

Stef0115 said...

Hey CONGRATS and good luck with everything! You will do great!

MCM Mama said...

Congratulations! Awesome news!

Badgergirl said...

Very cool!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations!