Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Weekender, Volume 1

School related...
When working in special education it's hard to be away from work. Preparing for a sub is more work than being there and you never know how the kids are going to be with the sub, especially with some students that are very needy as well as those who have some behavior issues. But, I think the kids were excited to see me back on Wednesday after my trip. They had a thousand questions for me. However, the kids were definitely pushing my buttons and testing my patience the last three days. I not only had to discuss with a student why a female has every right (and ability) to run for presidency, and how it makes him sound when he says he doesn't like the idea of a female president; I also had to explain the symbolism behind the Swastika he attempted to draw ... asking him to never draw it again. Gotta love fridays.

Triathlon issue....
It just so happens that the next triathlon I was planning on doing, the one in my home town, well ... it's the same weekend as a cousin's graduation party. So, I can either not attend the graduation party and head home to do a triathlon with no family to cheer me on, or go to the graduation party, waiting to do it next year.

Movies...
I will be honest. I don't usually spend a lot of time watching movies because I don't have the attention span or have a tendency to fall asleep during them. Plus, there are usually many games that could be watched on FSN or ESPN. But I did catch a couple this weekend. First, I saw No Country For Old Men. Odd movie. I wasn't too impressed its ending, or lack of. I also watched Alvin and the Chipmunks Movie. That was pretty cute.

Running funk....
Prior to heading to AZ I ran 2 days that week. This week I only ran 2 days. Both runs weren't very enjoyable, and it was extremely hot in the gym. So hot. I thought I was going to die. Besides those runs, I haven't done much of anything else this week. I am not looking forward to my half marathon, and more so, I am not looking forward to the next 4 weeks of training. My last longest run was close to 10 miles and I know I need to get another one in there, if not 2 ... any suggestions?

I hope all those who participated in races this weekend did a great job! I look forward to reading race reports!

11 comments:

Danielle said...

Hmm...I'd say if you aren't looking forward to the half, or the training, well, get out, do what you can for runs and plan to just do it for fun. Not worrying about time, but just a lead into the summer and racing season. I've been there myself and pushing it is just a problem waiting to happen. Now as the weather gets nicer, you might have something change too. I'd say just play it by ear and don't worry.

akshaye said...

I would suggest getting the long runs in soon, so that you aren't doing any serious mileage in your last week. Another couple of 10 milers or one 10 and one 11 (or 12) should be plenty!

What grade are these kids in? They ask some pretty crazy questions!

teacherwoman said...

5th grade ... 5th grade, my friend.

I know. Always what you least expect.

Wes said...

Hey! Don't be corrupting the young men of this country!! ROFL!!! Couldn't resist that one :-) Sorry you had to come back to reality... The only downside to a wonderful vacation. It is almost always too short!

Marcy said...

Oy, doesn't teaching on days like that make you want to start up your own family ASAP? :P

Kevin said...

My thought would be to try one more long run either this week or next and see how you feel. If you feel good, plan to race it, otherwise just go out there and have a good time, not worrying about your actual time

Molly said...

That is why I stuck with teaching Pre School!
Scott will not rent movies anymore b/c I always fall asleep!
Not sure what to say about the running...maybe take this time as an opportunity to focus on your swimming and bike!
Take Care

Dances with Corgis said...

From explaining swastikas and the impossibilities of a female president, there is no one i would rather have impart knowledge on me than you!

lol. sounds like quite the day.

J~Mom said...

I remember having the stomach flu once and having to drag myself down to the school to prepare for the sub. My husband used to think that was the most ridiculous thing ever. LOL

We rented Alvin and the Chipmunks as well and I thought it was really cute! I loved their version of some of the songs. LOL

RunnerGirl said...

Hmm, your job teaching special education sounds just like mine! I feel such guilt whenever I'm not there for my kids and they are always so excited when I come back the next day!

Unknown said...

If you want to do the half, and you have three weekends until the race...I would try to do 9-10 this weekend, 11-12 next weekend, then 6-7 the weekend after, then the race!

But if you aren't enjoying the training for it and you aren't looking forward to the race, why do it at all? I think you need to answer that question first.