Thursday, April 3, 2008

Mid-week LONG run

Well that was interesting.

I came home from work. The temperature was 56 degrees with only a slight breeze. I changed into my running clothes, which was quite a difficult decision. Shorts and long sleeve shirt? Shorts and t-shirt? pants and t-shirt? pants and tank top? I ended up going with pants and a tank top. I don't like the feeling of the sleeves of t's on my shoulders, and I wasn't going to wear shorts because, well, it is only April and you can only imagine what true North Dakotan's look like this time of year (asside from those that tan year 'round).

I didn't have a plan in mind. I really didn't know what kind of distance I was going to do. I didn't even know where I was going to run. I didn't want to ruin my good run yesterday. I just left my apartment and started running, making turns and u-turns where necessary. A part of me knew that the weather this afternoon was about 15 degrees warmer than it is going to be this weekend. And we all know what this weekend consisted of.... a 9-10 mile run.

So, I ran. And I ran. I stopped for a powerade at about the 1 hour mark. The first hour felt good. I actually enjoyed it. I couldn't get over the fact of how nice it was and that I was wearing a tank top. The last half hour of the run wasn't so much fun. My right knee was starting to bother me, but I know that has something to do with how fatigue my quads were starting to feel. Time to hit the weights again, on a regular basis. I actually ended up walking most of the last mile. I just wanted to get it done. But I am glad to have it done with for the week. Now I can do some swimming and biking this weekend..... I think I may do that Tri in June... it should be good times.

ORN: 9.82 miles
2:10:00
13:14 min/mile

If anyone is looking for some positivity, head over to Danielle's blog. She has been adding positive quotes to each of her posts this week. My favorite so far is the one she posted yesterday, "Positive Hump Day".

I look forward to the change in colors here in ND. Soon. Soon it will be green, with blue skies and beautiful sunsets. I will wait. Patiently.
The state flower ... Wild Prairie Rose

22 comments:

RunnerGirl said...

56 degrees? That's practically tropical for you!

Danielle said...

Thanks for the shout out...I'm liking the positive a day thing so far...hope I can maintain!! I'm determined to will spring here.

Great job on the run!! Take care of that knee.

Steve Stenzel said...

What a GREAT day for a run!

Wes said...

That's a fantastic run! It was about the same here and I was in a short sleeve AND a long sleeve :-) OK. I just got off the bike and didn't bother changing, but you know... LOL!!

I wonder if you need to do some lunges to strength your legs?!? Maybe you are right. Your thighs may be pulling on your knee ligaments. Its a thought!

You are doing amazing on your training for the half! I KNOW you are almost ready!!! Woot!!

Kevin said...

Sounds like good weather for a run. Sometimes it is good to go out without a plan. I find I do that when I need to clear my head.

teacherwoman said...

I have iced and popped a few ibuprofens right away after the run... as well as chugged quite a bit of water. my knees feel fine already. it's just my quads! I am afraid of how tight they will be when I crawl out of bed tomorrow morning!

Bolder said...

are you going to be in Tempe? race is on Sunday... i'm down there Friday to Tuesday... there will be a big meet-up, and, of course the chance to watch the Ironman!

let me know, it would be awesome to meet you and hang, and, i can introduce you around...

Ms Eva said...

Fantastic run & great weather to boot! :)

Unknown said...

Awesome run!!

I probably would have worn a skirt and long sleeve shirt *or* pants and a tank top depending on my mood. Sounds like pants and a tank top was the right clothing...you ROCKED the run!!

Triseverance said...

Yes spring weather is quite intoxicating isn't it? Really happy for you that you had a nice long run, those are so key to your fitness. But you know before to long we will be bemoaning the heat and hot training. Get while the getting is good I say. Have a great weekend.

Lily on the Road said...

Sometimes running without a plan is the best run EVA....

nice that you're getting a little of the warmer weather!!

spring is on its way.....

Brian said...

Wow, real good run.

And it looks like the weather is getting better.

Rock on.

-Brian

Unknown said...

Nice job on that mid-week long run. There's no stopping you.

SavvyFitChica said...

Awesome run! Those are the best runs- where you just run and run without a set destination or time frame. I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the weather!!

Kelsalynn

MNFirefly said...

It is ab-fab here in Chicago too in the 60's. I am SO glad that Spring is finally here.

Brianna said...

Who knew it could be so nice in ND this time of year?! Awesome weather for a run!

Bolder said...

did you get my email i sent on Friday?

sometimes i end up in the spam folder??

Bolder said...

i did!

try sending one to me lvglrg@yahoo.com

thanks!

IronGambit said...

no thanks, that sounds too cold for me! :)

akshaye said...

Fantastic run! Take care of your knee.. I know how that goes. As a wise person said to me.. "you have only one so take care of them"! If only I had listened :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

I go through a lot of the same things trying to pick out what to wear, especially in the winter here. In the summer, it's easy in the desert...very little and all of it white...

Jess said...

Congrats on the 9 miler!