Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Welcome Home Party (Weekend Recap)

It was a nice long weekend in the Twin Cities, welcoming my brother-in-law home from Iraq. Technically, he's been home for a couple weeks, but the partay was this weekend! Here's a run-down of the weekend, bullet-style:

  • Left Fargo right after work on Friday afternoon, with the 'rents and baby sis.
  • The roads were a bit slushy, but we didn't have much trouble getting there.
  • Met up with sister and BIL, as well as his brother, parents, and a couple of friends for dinner at the American Legion in Chanhassen.
  • Great burgers, good drinks, and wonderful company.
  • Saturday I got in a 3.25 mile run on the ancient treadmill in our hotel room.
  • Relaxed all afternoon.
  • Partied it up Saturday night with 30+ some people - friends and family.
  • Played a few games of beer pong, winning 2 out of 3 - one of the wins was against my Dad and a friend.
  • It was awesome.
  • Slept in Sunday.
  • No workout.
  • Finished Dear John by Nicholas Sparks.
  • Relaxed.
  • Watch the Superbowl with family and friends.
  • Left the cities at 830 Monday morning.
  • It only took us 5.5 hours to get to Fargo, which usually only takes 3.5 hours.
  • Saw more cars in the ditch, roll-overs, and accidents than I have ever seen before in my life. It was horrible.

I will leave you with a couple more pics from the party:

Family photo - together again! :)


And here's the painting I did for my BIL's return gift.

You can't see all the details, as this isn't a great picture, but it's a patriotic sunset with a silhouette of a soldier. There are 50 starts in the sky, and on the soldier's sleeve it says 34ID - for the unit he was deployed with this time around, and 957 on the ankle - representing the unit he was deployed with the first time.

We're so happy to have him home, safe and sound! We're very proud of his sacrifices, as well as my sisters, but we know he is very happy to be done with the military! We love ya, B!

25 comments:

Julie said...

I am glad that you were able to spend time with your brother inlaw:) God bless him!! I know it does suck here in the twin cities....I agree there were so many cars in the ditch and the roads were terrible!!! Wow, I didn't know that you could paint:) Your picture is beautiful and you are very talented!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Glad to hear that you had a great time! You look amazing in your picture :-) I love the picture for your BIL!!

SavvyFitChica said...

Sounds like a fun time! Welcome home Bro!

You look so cute in the pic of your family- great outfit, your hair is gorgeous, etc.

Your painting turned out beautifully and like you said, it's probably even cooler in person when you can see all the details!

Anonymous said...

The canvas you painted is awesome - squared!

Jason Andrew Mellet said...

wow, awesome painting

Marlene said...

I want to read Dear John so badly! I have it on hold at the library. (Not badly enough to spend money on it, hehe)

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!

That painting is incredible - very meaningful.

Carolina John said...

how did you like "dear john"? i can't wait to see the movie.

glad the guy is home safe and sound. and that's certainly a fantastic excuse for a big party.

AM! said...

Wow, now THAT's a weekend! And now, did your triathlon training help your endurance for it all??;-)

My Life said...

That painting is awesome! Welcome home to your BIL!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers said...

What a GREAT reason for a party!!

Anne said...

You painted that?! I'm in awe of your seemingly endless talents.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend! The picture is awesome.

Tricia said...

Happy to hear your brother is home. Love the painting!

J said...

That painting is beautiful! What a great time with your family! So glad your BIL is home safe!

RunToTheFinish said...

wait you are painter..did I totally miss that?! How cool.

Doesn't John Sparks always make you cry?

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Welcome home!!! Amazing gift, I always wished I could paint, but alas zero talent.

Love the bullet point recap..

I want to see the movie this weekend.

Renee said...

So glad your brother is home safe! Wow, a painter too...I am totally jealous.

Steel Springs said...

You're so talented! I love the painting.

I'm glad that you made it home safe and sound.

Shannon said...

That painting is amazing! What talent you have! I'm sure it meant a lot to him. So glad he is home safe.

And so glad you made it home safe too! scary!

Jess said...

Beautiful painting you did for his gift!

MCM Mama said...

Lovely painting! Glad he's home safely and that you got to spend a nice weekend celebrating that!

Badgergirl said...

Sounds like a great weekend celebration! And I love the painting!

Michelle said...

Awesome picture you painted!

Holly said...

I'm so happy that Blaine made it back safe and sound.

Beautiful painting you made! You're very talented.

Runner Leana said...

So glad your BIL made it home safe and sound! It must be great for you family to have him back home. Many thanks for his bravery and sacrifices!