Friday, February 12, 2010

week 1 of swim team - IN DA BOOKS

I officially have a week of Swim Team (2 practices...count 'em...2) under my belt! Let's do a run-down of my feelings towards joining this group, again.... no other way than the bullet way:
  • 1 hour and 50 minutes total
  • 4100 yards total
  • super glad to be back with the coaches
  • learned that this pool and our Y pool is measured in yards, not meters.
  • switched all my stats from "meters" to "yards"
  • now realize my stats are more of a rough estimate, as some races and events were measured in meters, not yards.
  • the above comment bugs me ... a lot.
  • tons of drills...and I mean TONS.
  • used fins for the first time yesterday
  • my calves were sore after that...
  • I think it was because they were too big and I was trying to keep them on...
  • but I was cruisin' in those things.
  • didn't realize that doing the dolphin kick while on your back can affect your core...wow!
  • was re-aquainted with "The Tarzan" yesterday...
  • it brought back memories of my first triathlon...and first swim in the open water.
  • I enjoy sleeping in until 5am ... I used to get up at 430 to get to the pool.
  • I am not used to 8x50 yard builds
  • love sprints in the water, but after 6x50 yards, I am somewhat spent.
  • the backstroke is my least favorite..
  • well, actually the butterfly, but we don't really do that one
  • yet, I suppose.
  • The pool was colder yesterday than Tuesday...
  • maybe it was because I was more tired,
  • but it reminded me of my first swim session outdoors - last summer...
  • 6am and 44 degrees.
  • Yeah, you read that right.
  • my friend and I pretty much have the ladies locker room to ourselves.
  • it only takes me 25-30 minutes to get ready and look presentable for work..
  • and, I still have time to stop and get coffee.
  • now that is heaven!!
  • Definitely the highlight of my week!

I hope I am this positive after my second week of swim practice!

What was the highlight of YOUR week?

19 comments:

John said...

Getting my tax refund!

Carly said...

I don't like the backstroke either! I'm just so bad at it! Sometimes I miss swimming that early in the morning. It certainly is the best way to start the day!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great experience. Best wishes as you carry on with the swim team!

Wes said...

What a very Phelpsian post :-) You'll be dolphin like in no time! Woot!!

Julie said...

Excellent!! Awesome job on your swimming workouts!! I am officially jealous:) I also love having the locker room to myself:) Happy Friday!!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you are walking (swimming?) on clouds after the practices! Love it!

Tricia said...

great job!

Steel Springs said...

Yeah! It sounds like swim team is going well!

Kelly said...

You are making me really want to join a swim team! Sorry about the yards/meters stuff- wish we could all just agree on one, seriously!

Being Robinson said...

i'm so behind on blogs, but am just now catching up and it looks like you are doing well! yay for swimming, i really, really miss it. and 'sleeping in' til 5? you're killin' me!!!

MCM Mama said...

The swimming sounds awesome!

The highlight of my week? I got to drive my car today. LOL

Anne said...

My sister once dated Adam Sandler. Your favorite movie list reminded me of those days.

Badgergirl said...

Excellent swim highlights! I heart fins.

X-Country2 said...

Rock star! Stick with it. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Annette said...

Awesome! :) So glad to see you're doing well. (Since I've been off the grid for so long!)

Happy training and I hope to stop by and see how things are going more often!

Anonymous said...

Great job! Keep it up :)

I think the highlight of my week was attending the Teacher of the Year banquet to support my friend Ashley. It was beautiful, the food was amazing, and it felt really great to be able to support her there.

Anonymous said...

Fun blog....never been here before but your name caught my eye, "teacherwoman". I too am a teacher! Have a great day....

Anonymous said...

Its funny that you mention the back (and butterfly) are your least favorite strokes! I love the back stroke and when I was on a swim team when I was younger the back and the fly were the two that I competed in. I didn't like the fly at first, but it grew on me.

Runner Leana said...

Yeah for swim team! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that doesn't like backstroke!! And yeah, having my stats be off would bug me too!