Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Getting Things Together

First and foremost, I must say thanks again to all your support and wonderful words in regards to my triathlon this week! You guys all rock! I am am enjoying my down time, away from training mode, and thinking hard and deep about what I want to do next. But, I will save all that for another post.



As far as work goes, I am back at it for four days this week with workshops and staff development. It's nice to get back and see everyone, but very little time is available to get caught up. My room is still not ready for when the kids start, but I am sure I will be ready come next Wednesday.

In hopes to becoming a bit more organized, I was on a quest to find a good planner. I am sure it's not shock to many of you, that I like to keep track of everything (every meeting, every phone call, everything), and I knew what I wanted in a planner. We usually get these free one's from the insurance company, but they are just monthly calendars. I wanted something with both weekly and monthly calendars in it and plenty of space for all my notes and reminders. On my third stop, I found extactly what I was looking for!
Now I didn't want to spend as much on it as I did, but once I saw that each day had a quote, I was excited!

Today's Quote says: "Experts estimate that by not eating a pound of beef, we save more water than by not showering for one year."
The store was full of parents and kids shopping for school. While I was standing in line, I over-heard (some may call this eavesdropping) a mom talking to her daughter. The mom was trying to convince her daughter that when you multiply you have to put the bigger number on top, like 5x4 or 9x6. For reals? Please tell me that you all know about fact families and the Commutative Property? You don't have to put the big number first! (If not, I guess I learned you something, lol).
And then, she proceeded to ask her daughter if she has done any reading this summer. Really? A week before school starts? I swear this mother knew I was a teacher! A week before school starts is NO time to worry about whether or not your child has done any reading over the summer. Cringe.

14 comments:

SavvyFitChica said...

Welcome back to school!

I loved my Franklin Covey planner but it got too expensive to keep up... the pages are soooo cool but costly! I kept it though (it's leather and really nice) so maybe one of these days I'll get back to keeping it.

Now I just use my Microsoft Outlook at work and it does the trick.

I like the idea of you sharing those quotes with us!

teacherwoman said...

I forgot to mention... it's 30% post consumable waste. Go Green!

Unknown said...

My kids go back on Thursday. Teachers were back on Monday. Maybe last week too, not sure.

Best wishes getting things ready for the first day!

RunnerGirl said...

I'm right there with you - heading in today for an all day inservice on writing IEPs, guess the paperwork has changed again :) As for the planner, I finally broke down and bought a Franklin Covey one and I love, love, love it!

Anonymous said...

Cute planner. Have fun getting things all together for the start of school. I bet you have a sweet classroom for your students.

Kelly said...

Haha, oh my god that mom cracks me up. I hope the daughter won that argument.
Don't you hate all the meetings at the beginning of the year? I'm always like- seriously I need to be in my classroom, stop talking about pointless things!

Marlene said...

Good luck with all of your last minute prep!

Wes said...

You learned me sumthin! and I have to whip my child to make him do his summer reading. Thank GAWD my middle son is a self starter...

Holly said...

The bigger number has to be on top? Are you kidding me?! That is horrifying.

Looks like you found yourself an awesome planner!

J said...

I dont know what they are teaching in schools these days! lol or maybe the parents just are not up with their kids! Totally crazy - my dads a math teacher, he would be upset!

Jess said...

I might have to get me that planner! I love my planners, and I'm like you, I like to keep track of everything!

Jess said...

Very cute planner. I love a good planner and that one looks like it has lots of room! Enjoy organizing!

Aka Alice said...

I gave up on paper planners when I got my laptop...now it goes with me everywhere (not always so convenient, but I never lose anything any more).

You're the fifth blog I've read tonight talking about going back to school. I didn't realize I read blogs by so many teachers (I mean, I guess I knew I did, but I'd never really counted).

jay_say said...

OMG... that totally does not surprise me at all... teaching middle school, I see parents that don't even know what their kids are doing and have no desire to learn.