Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Family, golfing, and training

This past weekend was spent celebrating my grandparents 60th anniversary and my great uncle's 50th ordination. My mom's side of the family is quite large and it was the first time almost all of us were home in the last 10 years. There are 28 grandkids (and then a good number of spouses and significant others) and 6 great grandkids. All of us were present, minus my brother-in-law (who's in Iraq) and then a cousin of mine, her hubby and little daughter. It was pretty impressive. A lot of my grandparents friends and siblings were also there. We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful and close family.

Sunday morning we had our annual family golf tournament and the weather couldn't have been more beautiful. It wasn't too hot like in years past; just a nice 70-75 degrees and sunny. We had teams of 4 or 5 people and just play a game of scramble. It was a great time! I even came back with a nice sunburn. I am not proud of it, but it made me realize that summer was finally here.




Four days until the Detroit Lakes Sprint Triathlon and I am ready to get the show on the road. A part of me just wants to be done with training, now that things are starting to get busy with school. But, I know as soon as it is over, I will be looking for my next event to train for.

This race is shorter than the triathlon I did last month, so it will be interesting to see how things play out this time around. Like any other event, here are my goals:

Swim 1/3 mile - 14 minutes
Bike 10 miles - 38 minutes
Run 3.1 miles - 35 minutes

The goal times I have for all three are very reasonable and doable. If I were to really push myself, I would love to finish the swim in 11-12 minutes and the bike under 35. We'll have to see what the race conditions will be like. Last year it was raining and cold with white caps on the water. As of right now, there is a 40% chance of scattered T-Storms, but like any other forcast for the midwest, that will probably change a half dozen times between now and Saturday.

16 comments:

Marlene said...

Sounds like a fun family weekend! We have a huge family like that on my Mom's side and I can't even remember the last time we all got together!

How did your piano-playing go?

Wes said...

I love big families. My dad's family is huge. Make this last one a fun one, then enjoy some total recovery time, eh? Then you'll be back at it fo sho!!

Carolina John said...

those do seem like reachable goal times for the tri this weekend. you'll do great and love it!

RunnerGirl said...

That's so great that your family can all get together like that. Its hard for us to get coordinated to get together and we're nowhere near as big :)

Runner Leana said...

Good luck racing this weekend!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you do have a big family. I am sure it was nice to catch up with everyone. Your goals for this weekend look great!

X-Country2 said...

Good luck this weekend!!

Holly said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I can't believe your next tri is almost here! Time is sure flying this summer.

Unknown said...

Good Luck!!! I bet you can get those times or even faster!!

Jess said...

Sounds like you had a fun weekend and your race is coming up oh so soon! I'm sure you will kick some boooootay!

Unknown said...

oooooh - have fun with the race!!

J said...

Good luck with the tri this weekend!

Unknown said...

Good Luck! Those are great goals!

Aron said...

good luck this weekend!!!! you will do GREAT :)

Carly said...

Sounds like a very fun family get together! Good luck this weekend!

Being Robinson said...

oh wow congrats to your grandparents, and how fun is that. 28 grandkids, whoa. i thought my family was big with 10!