Here are a list of things that I need to keep in mind. Some things I already knew but forgot to remember when I started upping my training, some things I learned from you all, and some things I did a bit of research on:
- Get enough sleep. I don't care what research says, I think everyone knows how much sleep there body needs and I know that I perform best on 8-8.5 hours of sleep each night, especially when I am building my training. I can function on less, but it isn't pretty.
- Use the 4-week training cycle. Build 10% each week for 3 weeks, and then drop 25% the 4th week. Starting the 5th week back at where you were at on the 3rd week.
- More protein. I eat some protein, but I know it's not enough.
- More whole grains. I need to get back to my oatmeal kick. I lurve it and it's uber-filling!
- Water water water. They say you should drink half your weight in ounces. So, if you weight 150lbs, you should drink 75oz. of water a day, and more if you are working out, drink soda, or alcoholic beverages! I usually am really good about this, averaging about 90-100oz of water a day!
- Eat more ... and more often. Actually, I am pretty good about eating often throughout the day, but I don't think I have been eating enough for how much I have been working out... or enough of the right stuff. I usually eat a mid-morning snack and an afternoon snack (usually a Clif ZBar in the afternoon), but I think my lunches have been lacking, as I feel ravenous when I get home around 4.
- Recovery food/drink. Duh. Looking back at all my hard workouts (more than 60 minutes) this month, I can honestly tell you that I haven't bee refueling properly afterwards. This needs to change! I guess I forgot what training was like. I used to down a glass of chocolate milk or a small fruit smoothy, after a long workout.
- Daily vitamins. Once again, I used to be consistent about taking my daily Women's Vitamin and Fish Oil. Time to get back on the saddle with that one!
- Green Monster. I am bound and determined to get on this band-wagon! They look and sounds so yummy!
- Listen to the body. I need to remember to thrown in a good solid REST day after a few days of hard workouts. My body will thank me!
I appreciate everyone's comments and have taken them all to heart! I am already starting to feel better and look forward to how these adjustments can help with my training and overall well-being! Thank you!
Tomorrow I am taking a half day of personal leave and heading home to the Bis with my sister in the afternoon. From there we plan on heading up north to see my Dad's side of the family. We haven't been up there since the wedding in August and I look forward to seeing them! Have a great Memorial Day weekend, y'all!