Monday, March 30, 2009

More Snow?

I am still in Bismarck at my parents. As much as I am unhappy about being away from my daily routine, it's kind of a nice retreat. Even if I am living out of an oversized suitcase.

The Red River in Fargo appears to be going down, but we are still playing the waiting game, hoping and praying that the dikes will hold.

I am still planning on trying to head back to Fargo Wednesday, weather depending. There's a winter storm system going through the region and we received 11 inches overnight here in Bismarck. Many more inches are expected to fall over the next day or so. I know that Fargo is expected to get some snow as well, but I don't know how much.

With all the snowfall, many businesses and offices are closed. Getting to the gym is not an option and running outdoors is out of the question! I guess I am just going to have to do some shoveling to get the heart pumping!

This winter is getting old. I am so over it.


On a running note, I have made the decision to NOT do the Fargo Half Marathon. I am just not ready. I still have an occasional 3 mile run that is hard on my knee, so I am going to focus on the 5K only, maybe working to improve it over the next 6 weeks. Now, I just need to decide if I am going to pay the $15 to change from the HM to the 5K , or just wear my original bib and do the 5k..... any thoughts?

23 comments:

Carolina John said...

hang in there. spring will make it to north dakota soon. this too shall pass.

Gotta Run said...

why pay more money to change your entry.... I would wear the bib and run what you want to.

Man I thought four days of straight rain was bad. Your snow sounds too cold to me!!!

Wes said...

I'm with Robin. Unless you think you will podium, run what you want!!!

brent said...

hang in there! the only thing with wearing the 1/2 bib is that you won't get an official time for running the 5k (which may or may not matter to you)....

Annette said...

Still snowing? Crazy!

I can't believe you would have to pay extra to run a different race! Isn't a 5K usually cheaper than a half? I think I'd be tempted to just show up and run whatever. I guess it depends on if you want your results, though.

I Run for Fun said...

I am still keeping my fingers crossed that the water goes down and your winter comes to an end real soon!

I would just run with the original bib...

Marcy said...

Wha? I'm with Annette, you have to pay more for the 5k?! Isn't it the other way around?! If that's the case, roll with your current bib and forget paying the $15!

Ms. V. said...

Me? I'd pay the $15. Wouldn't want the bad bib karma. LOL

Good luck with the weather!!!

D10 said...

You guys have had some crazy weather. Smart move to drop down, but I agree with everyone else, don't pay extra to go down to the 5k.

Kita said...

BRRRRR.... Sending warm weather your way.

Chad in the AZ Desert said...

I think it is rediculous that they would charge you to drop from the half to the 5k when you already paid more for the half. Most races allow you to drop down without paying anymore. I would just wear the bib you paid for and run the 5k if you want.

Lisa Slow-n-Steady said...

I'm surprised you have to pay to downgrade to the 5K.

It would be a tough choice for me but I'd lean toward changing my registration for two reasons

1) I like to see my official stats in with the other runners and that would require being registered for the correct race.

2) for me it would put closure on the decision not to run the half. Mental thing, but that's how it is for me.

Marlene said...

Glad to hear you are safe & sound. Shoveling is great cross-training, but here's hoping winter is just about over for this year. Sheesh!

I think it's absurd to charge for a switch from HM to 5K... the HM was probably more $$$ to begin with!

Shannon said...

I think you made the right decision to not do the HM. With everything going on you probably need the time to rest the knee.

BTW, wear the bib and run the 5K.

IronGambit said...

original bib , do the 5k . No one really pays any attention to that anyway.

Nat said...

I'm so over winter. Our snow is going but it's still really cold... all these layers.

Michelle said...

Hey TW i probably wouldn't pay it but then again if it would make you feel better about running the 5K then do it. Do what makes you feel better!!!

I am praying for an end to the snowy weather!!

miss petite america said...

wear the bib and run the 5k. i mean for all they know you changed your mind mid race due to more "emergency reasons"

and you can keep your own official time.

JohnnyTri said...

wow I remember some cold days while living in Nebraska.. guess thats why I went South to Texas and now the Dessert.. Come on Down!

yeah, I say if your not worried about your official time, than stay with your 1/2 number, why pay more, unless you want the timing.

rockon`

kelsalynn said...

Take your $15 and buy a few hot chocolates... sounds like you could use it! I'm sorry the weather is putting a damper on things for you. I'm glad you're with family though.

rinus said...

I hope the water stay in the river!.
Whe have the water problems in Holland and not only the sea but the river in Holland mast by save for the water.
www.rinusrunning.punt.nl

Ms. Math said...

Sorry to hear you won't be doing the half marathon. :( I hope your knees start cooperating with you!

Jess said...

I heard about the snow in that area, and I feel for you guys! That just plain sucks!