Saturday, March 1, 2008

Giving it a Tri

The schedule called for a "mock trial" resembling what I will expect at the indoor triathlon in Maple Grove in about 4 weeks (10 minute swim, 30 minute bike, 20 minute run). The alarm went off at 6am and I flew out of bed. I usually pack my bag the night before a morning workout, but I figured I would have time this morning. I quickly downed a bowl of oatmeal and a tall glass of water. I needed to have something in my system. After packing everything I needed, I headed downtown to the Y. Here's what it looked like:

7:10am - The Swim (10 minutes): I didn't know how this was going to pan out, and to be honest I had a hard time getting into a rhythm. In 10 minutes I only did 15 lengths of the pool.

7:20am - T1 (10 minutes): Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I felt rushed, but I was glad I had everything I needed.

7:30am - The Bike (30 minutes): Remember my post from the other day? The one where I was telling you how bored I was on the bike? Well, that was the same for today. The bikes we used were the regular upright bikes that suck and I think the mileage is completely off. I look forward to using the spin bikes in Maple Grove and accumulating atleast another 5 miles. Total miles today were only 8.58.

8:00am - T2 (5 minutes): I used this time to stretch my legs a bit. More hydration, but I probably didn't drink enough water.

8:05am - The Run (20 minutes): I started out feeling quite fatigued and the legs felt heavy due to the transition from the bike to the run. I had the same issue today that I had on thursday when I went to run, except without the arch issue. I don't know what the deal is, but the muscles on top of my foot/ankle gets "stiff/sore" right away causing it to be difficult to pick up my feet properly. I don't know how or what i need to do to make this go away, but it was very frustrating today as I had it in me to run, but this issue was determining how long I could run. I ended up doing a lot of walking again. Piss poor job ... only 1.59 miles.

END RESULTS:
OSN: 375M
OCN: 8.58 miles
ORN: 1.59 miles

I can't complain too much about my results as I really have nothing to compare them too. I know I have made significant growth in my swimming and to be able to run injury free the past few months has been great as well. I have room on my schedule to attempt another one of these a couple weeks before the tri. I am going to focus on getting some more speed in the pool, and just continue with my regular run schedule as I am still training for the half, squeezing in a bike or two a couple times a week when I can.

Peace out, y'all!

13 comments:

Wes said...

Nicely done, chica!! I would advise you to go for a short 10 minute run as often as possible after you spin for the next three weeks. It WILL help!! Is the T1 and T2 times forced? Or wlil you get to determine that on your own? Regardless, good job!!!

teacherwoman said...

The T1 and T2 times are forced...set by Lifetime Fitness..

Thanks for the advice :)

Sherry said...

I'm new to all of this like you are, but I totally agree with what Wes mentioned above. I've been going for very short runs after I ride and my body defintely is starting to get used to things now. The first time I ever did a brick workout, I about died! LOL! It's gotten so much easier since I've started doing my little post-bike run though. Good luck! :o)

P.O.M. said...

You did a great job. Not that I know anything about tri's but it would seem that these mini-tri's are made to help you figure out all the little ins-and-outs of things. Keep it up. I'm sure your body will get accustomed to the ol' switch-a-roo :)

Mendy said...

Stacey, I think you did awesome! I tried to do a mock once before my Aug tri, and failed at it, (especially the run), thinking I wouldn't be able to. You did so much today, and you will do terrific in 4 wks. I bet you have a weight lifted off your shoulders knowing you can do it now. Now, it's just continue training...

Have a great sunday!

Jess said...

Looks good to me, but then I have no tri experience.

Brooke said...

It will be easier next time, and the time after that and the time after that.

RunnerGirl said...

Nice workout. I think its a great idea that you get to do a "trial run" before the actual tri in a few weeks. I bet you'll kick ass on the real one for sure!

Unknown said...

I think you just need Brick practice (bike then run). At first it sucks, then not so much...

Iron Jayhawk said...

Nicely done!!

Marcy said...

I hear you on the wonky readouts. My stationary bike is off as well, but in the speed dept so I just use this conversion table:
www.bx3.com/phil/tri/tricalc.asp

plug in the time and distance and get the correct speed.

akshaye said...

That is great! Now you have the numbers to compare against for next time. I kind of like the whole thing being based on time instead of distance.

Danielle said...

Sounds like a good mock tri for you. I hear you on the bike to run thing...the legs just feel dead after the bike for quite some time for me. Having done that and tested it now, makes me wonder why they have the bike on the sidelines to warm up and keep warm the running backs and such for football games...it's such a different thing!!