Tuesday, December 21, 2010

12 Days of Christmas

Day 4: Christmas Lights

I remember helping mom decorate the Christmas tree each year, reminiscing over our childhood ornaments - the ones we made at school and the ones we got as gifts. Usually, our Christmas tree was lit up with white lights and I would love to sneak upstairs to sleep on the couch next to the lit up tree. It was such a warm and fuzzy feeling. In fact, there were times where I would come home from college and would rather curl up on the couch in front of the tree than sleep in my own bed...

For many years, my two sisters, parents, and I, would climb into the vehicle and drive around town for hours looking at Christmas lights. We had a few regular spots that we had to hit every year because the entire street was decked out in lights or decorations. We would listen to Mannheim Steamroller, or Lori Line, while driving around, taking in the beautiful holiday sights. This is probably one of my favorite holiday memories.

There's just something magical and beauitful about the Christmas lights.

6 comments:

Aimee said...

We used to do the same thing. We would drive around looking at all of the lights and it was always so much fun!

Holly said...

I agree - there is something truly magical about Christmas lights. The holiday just wouldn't be the same without them. I love driving around and looking at all the decorations and lights.

Marlene said...

It has been far too long since I've gone for a drive to check out the lights!

Badgergirl said...

I love all of your 12 Days of Christmas posts! Totally making a mental note to do this next year.

It's been too many years since I just drove around looking at lights. But it's something that I liked doing with my family growing up.

Julie said...

I love looking at all of the Christmas lights:)

Merry Christmas to you!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas!!