Friday, December 17, 2010

12 Days of Christmas

Day 8: Puzzles

Growing up, my mom would take some time off work to stay with us girls while we were home on Christmas vacation. I have fond memories of spending hours and hours, for days and days, working on puzzles with 500 pieces.

Now, as I have my own classroom, I have a lot of hand-me-down puzzles, and I am constantly amazed at how excited my students get when I give them a few minutes here and there to work on a puzzle. They will ask me all the time if they can work on one. So many kids these days spend hours and hours in front of the tv or video games and don't own a single puzzle.....

Working on puzzles over the holiday break was such a great bonding moment with my mom.

7 comments:

Emz said...

puzzles rock.

thanks for posting this. I too, have memories of puzzle doing with my mom [often]. love this.

Carly said...

My mom wanted a puzzle for Christmas last year so my aunt bought her Van Gogh's Starry night. 1000 pieces. Hahaha... I ended up doing some of it and eventually she just gave up on it. I wanted her to finish it, frame it and give it to my aunt this year. Oh well!

Marlene said...

I used to have a puzzle on the go with my Grandma CONSTANTLY. Her back and eyes can't handle it anymore, but she still cracks one open now and then. :)

Aimee said...

I love puzzles and so do my kids! I have very fond memories of doing huge puzzles with my family when I was younger! It was awesome!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I honesty regret giving our daughter a laptop. I wish she could just do puzzles, play out side, and do anything else that doesn't involve the computer. =(

Anonymous said...

I love puzzles. When i have kids, it is my #1 priority to keep them as active as possible outside of TV, Computers and Video games. I am so glad to hear you get your students involved with puzzles.

Holly said...

I haven't done a puzzle in ages! It sounds like fun - I might have to do one soon. :)