Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Giving Thanks

I would like to take a moment to thank all military personel who are serving or have served this great country of ours. Without them and their unselfish work, we would not be able to live in this country with such freedom. Also, I think it's important to thank all the friends and families who are supporting those in active duty.

Happy Veterans Day to my favorite Veteran... my bro-in-law! Miss you and can't wait to have you back for good in February!

Last night, I had a handful of wonderful friends over for dinner for what I hope to be our first annual "Thanks Giving" meal. There were 14 of us and everyone brought some sort of food. Unfortunately, I did not take any great pictures, so I won't be able to share our festivities, visually, but I can tell you that it was a great time and all of the food was wonderful!

The idea behind this was to combine Thanksgiving and Christmas with friends. I did this with some friends when I was going to college. We would make a big meal and then everyone brought a white elephant gift to share.

But, last night we had a little different twist to it. Instead of bringing a white elephant gift, a monetary donation was suggested, but not mandatory, with the idea that it would be spent buying necessities and gifts for a family in need. Far too many families struggle from day to day, especially around the holidays. A few of us plan to go out there and make those purchases soon, hoping to put a some smiles on a few faces!


On the workout front, I am on-the-ball! This morning, since I had the day off, I was able to be a bit more flexible with my workout. After sleeping in until 8, I took advantage of the mid-morning lap swim time, kicked out 2100M, and then hit up a hard-core spin class right afterwards and ended up riding 15 miles! It felt great!


I will leave you with this Military Tribute video! Happy Veterans Day!

12 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

oh what a fantastic idea!! I always want to celebrate with friends, but everything gets too crazy with schedules!!

teacherwoman said...

That's why we did it so early!

Lily on the Road said...

Thank your BIL and wish him a very safe return.

Good Idea celebrating early, the Wooo Hooo's are getting together on the 28th of November....

Jess said...

Glad you had a great get together with your friends! Sounds fun.

Shannon said...

I love your Veterans Day tribute. :)

Wes said...

14 friends is wealth indeed :-)

SavvyFitChica said...

That's an incredible idea! Very thoughtful and kind of you. You obviously surround yourself with amazing people!

Ms Eva said...

Great tribute! :D

J said...

That sounds like fun! hope your brother in law continues to stay safe and returns home!

Anne said...

Love the gift-giving idea behind your "Thanks Giving" event. And many thanks to your brother-in-law for serving his country.

Marlene said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend Veterans Day.

Jess said...

Sounds like a fun get together with your friends. And nice job getting your workouts in. I was just a lazy bum yesterday.