Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's Melting

After doing 20 minutes of shredding with Jillian this morning, I ventured outdoors for another run. It was 40 degrees, the snow was melting, and the fresh air felt wonderful. I jumped over snow banks, ran through puddles, and only almost biffed it on a hidden icy patch once. I caught myself, gracefully.

Yesterday Jill and I did a swim/bike brick. My arms were a bit sore from shoveling the snow bank out my front door Friday night (note pics in last post). All considered, swimming loosened up those muscles a bit. I wasn't too impressed with the spin instructor and I didn't want to aggrevate my knee so I just sat on the bike, adjusting the tension here and there, and rode in aero position every once and a while.


As for the rest of the day, I watched the Tar Heels get beat by Florida State University and almost cried. Fo reals. Then I went with a couple friends to the State basketball tournament. We caught the second half of the girls first place game. The Bismarck Demons, my high school, took first! And, I realized one of the girls on the team was a girl I babysat when I was in middle school. Feelin' a bit old here. Then, we cheered on our West Fargo Boys, but they got beat. It was still a good game and fun basketball.




Some of you asked about the snow bank out my front door and if I was able to get out or how I got out .... I also have another entrance through the garage, from my basement. No worries! However, shoveling it a couple days later was a pain in the ars. It had shrunk about a foot, as it was melting... and heavier then cow pie.

Another made comment how I was running outdoors just a couple days after the blizzard.... For those of you not from the Midwest, let me educate you a bit: This is probably the most frustrating part about living here this time of year. As we progress into "so-called-Spring" we get all kinds of weather: Blizzards, rain, melting snow, temps below freezing, temps 20-30 degrees above freezing, snow, slush, ice, etc. So even though I was out running in 40 degrees this morning, and temps are supposed to stay in the 40's all week, that doesn't mean we are done with snow, or ice, or slush. I have lived here long enough to not get my hopes up, but to take advantage of these nice days!


I am off to take my bike into get a spring tune-up! The temps are rising, and us ND cyclists are anxious to get out there and ride!

***Please head over to Steve's blog and check out the Tales of the Virgin Althete Contest!!! There are some great stories there!***


Yesterday's Workout:
Swim/Bike Brick
Swim 1600M, 33:00, 2:03/100M
Bike 22.31 miles, 57:00, 23.48mph

Today's Workout:
Jillian's 30-day Shred (Day 12 - Level 2)
Run - 3.3 miles, outdoors, no time

Today's Song:
Eminem - Crack a Bottle (ft. Dr. Dre and 50 Cent)
....I secretly HEART Eminem

24 comments:

Michelle said...

WOOHOO TW, I am first!!

Anyway, glad the snow is slowly melting and you are getting out there!!!

Just be careful and take it easy!!! OK?

Anonymous said...

The Heels played pretty bad. But, we got some bigger games ahead. No worries.

RunToTheFinish said...

shoveling is a serious arm and back workout, I love those kinds of sneaky exercise

Danielle said...

I had one of those "old" moments last Thanksgiving when a girl I used to babysit was at the bar...:(

Great explanation of the midwest...I always ask why again do we live here?

Laurel said...

Glad you are getting some time outside and you were able to escape from your front door. Ha!

Sorry about your Tar Heels.

Iron H said...

Just checking out your blog. Good stuff! All I have been doing is complaining about the cold and snow here in the East this year. But after seeing your pictures, we got off easy!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that the snow is melting and you are able to get back into the world. I don't think I could have dealt with that much snow, even just once in my life!

Neese said...

are you excited about March Madness? Have a good week!

Aron said...

great job on the workouts!!! that was some serious snow in your last post... glad its melting for you :)

Tri-Angle said...

See....
And not everyone actually knows how heavy a Cow Pie really is. Dry vs. wet. There's a ton of physics in that.
I digress....
Glad the snow is melting. And having a "graceful "non-fall" on ice is always good! It's all that oore training!
A.

Jess said...

Glad you are taking advantage of the warming temps! Hope you get some more stable weather soon!

Marcy said...

Ooooooo I hate that! When the snow gets all heavy. Back ache city! Dang girl that's one heck of a workout right there LOL

Carolina John said...

i too was upset with the heels. but with no ty lawson i think they went pretty far. so many people are picking them to go all the way... i can't wait until thursday to see how it's all going to play out.

thanks for linking to steve's contest. i got named as one of the finalists! vote for me!

Wes said...

Yea, I thought about you when Tarheels went down. I said Stacy is NOT going to be happy! Good news is they are in March Madness any who... I'll keep my fingers crossed for them since I don't have a dog in this fight...

Marlene said...

And I thought we had it bad with the weather around here. That is just brutal!

Nice workouts and glad you were able to enjoy the fresh air - despite ice patches, snow banks AND puddles (oh my!)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you were able to get out for a run outside...

...and remain upright. ;-)

Jess said...

Glad the snow is finally melting, and I remember from my years of living in MN (I lived there for 8 years) how frustrating the weather was this time of year. Once, in 1996, the ice off Lake Bemidji wasn't gone in time for fishing opener! And what's that? Mid may, I think!

IronGambit said...

I am so glad that the snow is melting for you ! ! ! ! :)

Kevin said...

Good to hear that the snow is finally melting. I dont think I could live through such big swings in weather condition

Anonymous said...

Your run sounds like the weather in Central OR right now. It was 60 degrees one day and snowing the next. I'm not a fan of this almost-spring stuff here! Must drive you crazy.

I Run for Fun said...

Nice workout.

I would definitely chalk down that shoveling as a workout...may be 2!

Holly said...

I hope we're done with snow, but I have a feeling we're not.

N.D. said...

which shred do you do? I just found them on ON DEMAND. What is your fave?

MRM velsingh said...

hai from indian guy