Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back at it

Today marked the first day back at school. I am not going to lie, I was super pumped getting ready for work this morning and have been looking forward to this day for the past few weeks. However, I am sure going to miss my easier days, but I am ready for the structure! And with the start of school in ND, the summer is coming to an end and the cool fall temps are just around the corner.

I took on a new position this year as the building level representative for our special ed team. I will still be working with students, but have been given some extra duties (mostly meetings, paperwork, and support to team) along with another block of time to complete these duties. I spent a lot of today working on the usual beginning of school year paperwork. I was looking over my caseload and noticed that I have a lot of 3-year re-evaluations due (some due in early November) on top of the regular IEP meetings. For those of you who are not special ed teachers - I am sorry for the shop talk; for those of you who are - you know what I am talkin' about. Nuff said.

All in all it was a good first day back! I will leave you with a few quotes I love:

  • "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove . . . . but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child." - Kathy Davis
  • "We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give."
  • "The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it but that it is too low and we make it." - Michelangelo
  • "He who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - Anonymous
  • "Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself." ~John Dewey
  • "We must view young people not as empty bottles to be filled, but as candles to be lit." - Robert H. Shaffer
  • "When you cease to make a contribution you begin to die." Eleanor Roosevelt

Happy Hump Day, y'all!

17 comments:

Badgergirl said...

Welcome back to school!

Marci said...

I am a science teacher, but also teach a modified science class, so I know the lingo. Writing and updating IEP's can be a huge task!

SavvyFitChica said...

Good luck this year with your new responsibilities, I'm sure you'll be able to handle the challenge no problem.

I love quotes, I'm a big fan. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great school year!

Unknown said...

Welcome back to school.

Jess said...

Going back to school in the fall is always fun, enjoy!

Wes said...

and so it begins :-)

Tony said...

Good Luck. I still have two weeks before I start teaching, but I agree with you I'm looking forward to the structure that it brings

Marlene said...

Good luck with the new year!

Shannon said...

Awesome Quotes!

I'm so glad that your year is starting off so well. I'll miss being in the classroom a little bit this year and I'll just live through you. :)

Holly said...

Glad to hear you had a good first day! Great quotes!

Unknown said...

I love that John Dewey quote.

Carolina John said...

back to school. only 179 more days to go right?

Kelly said...

Ugh- 3 year reevals...even as a regular ed teacher I hate these haha. Good luck! I definitely hear you on the structure of school year but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the first day haha.

N.D. said...

You sound like me - I am always pumped going back to work. It will be hard this year. They start on Tuesday. Thanks for the quotes!!

P.O.M. said...

I wish I could be pumped about work right now... after my horrible interview yesterday I just want to sit at home and read trashy novels.

Jess said...

So glad to hear your first day went well. Hope school is continuing to go well for you!