Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Things That Make Me Smile

After my YWCA Triathlon Race Report, I knew I needed to post on a more positive note. I like to think of myself as a positive person, and try to keep things optimistic and upbeat around here, but there was too much negativity in that post and I need to post something more cheery!



So, here's a handful of things that have made me smile recently:
  • My Students - When cleaning through student folders from last year, today, I opened one student's folder to find the following sentence written by one of my 5th graders (who will now be at the middle school): "Miss 'S' is a very nice teacher." I loved it - plus he used correct capitalization, punctuation, and spelling - this was his writing folder after all.

  • 2-fers - Yes, I said TWO-FERS. There's just something about getting in two workouts in ONE day! Yesterday I ran 3 miles in the morning, and then in the afternoon I biked 6 miles and did 45 minutes of Pilates. All felt sooooo good!

  • Kind Words - all of your kind words/thoughts regarding my last triathlon. Thanks, everyone!

  • Haircuts and colors - tonight I am going in for a cut and color. It probably could have waited another 3-4 weeks, but I wanted a fresh look and feeling prior to the start of school.

  • Compliments - Why is it that some people have a hard time taking compliments?! Yesterday when leaving Pilates, one of the regulars was trying to remember who I was (since I had been there a few times before in June)... he asked if I had been doing some other training since I "looked pretty buff and in good shape".

  • Start of a new school year - As much as I am sad to see this wonderful summer come to an end, I am excited to get back into a work routine and start teaching again. I have a feeling there are going to be a few changes this year, and I look forward seeing what this school year will bring!

Happy Tuesday, y'all!

19 comments:

Turbo Photographs said...

Just read your race report. The same thing happened to me in my first tri swim. Thankfully there are no pics, but I'm quite sure I looked exactly you did. Congrats on not letting it get the best of you.

Great post today!That compliment from your Pilates class would have me walking on air :)

Marlene said...

Yay! What a nice positive post!

SCORE on the compliment!! Enjoy gettin' your hair did!

track coach and adorable wife said...

I'm glad you were able to pull yourself out of the funk with a positive post! It's great to see you love your students so much, I hope my son's teachers feel the same way! And man you make me want to get my hair done!

Wes said...

looked pretty buff and in good shape

Did he mention HAWT? di'in't think so... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, someone has a crush on the teacher!

Jess said...

Those are all great things!

James said...

Way to go on the two-fer. You know you're hardcore when you start doing two-a-days!

Anne said...

If you aren't beaming from the new cut and color, then you should from the Pilates guy who gave you that compliment.

Katie A. said...

I know it can be hard to be positive all the time - way to make Tuesday a new day!

RunToTheFinish said...

must be nice to have an actual summer..then again it might make going back to work hard for me.

glad you love your students so much that is super!

Aimee said...

Yay for two-fers and compliments! I hope you have a great week! :)

Jess said...

What an awesome compliment to get! That would have totally made my day! Good luck getting back to the swing of things with school. Sometimes getting back on schedule is a nice change!

RockStarTri said...

That regular was sooo hitting on you. Even so, pretty buff is good to hear.

Unknown said...

All kinds of good stuff. I like color more than cut actually. Also really like getting in 2fer workouts. :-)

Middle Name Marie said...

I love getting my hair cut and colored. I also love looking through old files and finding the things students have given me.

Unknown said...

yea for 2fers! And yes, I agree, getting your hair did is a perfect way to freshen up. Have fun with the start of school!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

So sorry about your race- I didn't read the report until now :( You don't have any problem breathing in the pool when you practice? I feel like the allergy idea might be a good one? have you tried asking people on triathlon forums or anything?

Anyway I love your list of things that make you happy. I'm ready to start the school year too even though I'd love for summer to last forever- my routine is too crazy right now.

Unknown said...

Definitely understand why that list would make you smile.

I have a hard time taking compliments sometime, but I don't know why. :( Then again, I'm my own worse critic!

Have a great week!

Holly said...

Yay! Great post! I'm the same way - I hate writing negative posts.